Butternut Squash Risotto With Andouille Sausage

Risotto with roasted butternut squash and andouille sausage

In preparation of a new raised garden bed for next year, Bobby dug up an area of the yard last spring and started piling leaves and compost in it.  Low and behold, we soon had a couple of squash plants growing. We decided to just let them grow at the chance of getting something. We’ve never had much luck with volunteers before, but we thought “maybe this year”.  The two plants grew throughout the summer and, even though they were beautiful plants with a lot of leaves and blooms, we didn’t get very much. One produced two butternut squashes and the other, one cute little pumpkin.  Not very prolific, but at least we got something. I picked the first butternut squash around the middle of August and it sat on the countertop for a couple weeks, just waiting for the right inspiration to turn it in a meal. That inspiration came the day I brought home a pound of freshly smoked andouille from the Alpine Sausage Kitchen, a small German sausage smoke house in my neighborhood.  I love sausage with butternut squash so I decided to make this Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto With Andouille.

The roasted butternut squash and the andouille add a wonderful richness to the arborio rice.  The roasted squash held up quite nicely to the smoked andouille sausage.  The andouille is added half way into the cooking process to help render some of the fat and let it seep into the rice. Adding it at this time also prevents the andouille from drying out, which can happen if you add it too early.  The roasted butternut is added at the end of the cooking of the rice in order to keep the squash pieces intact, yielding bites of roasted squash along with little bites of sausage.

I’m not sure what I’ll be doing with the other butternut squash nor the pumpkin.  But once the fall apples start showing up at the market, my Roasted Butternut with Apples and Manchego might be on the menu.  As far as the pumpkin goes, maybe a Pumpkin and Red Chile Soup once the weather starts to cool off.  But who knows, there might be something completely different.  And yes, I may be rushing Fall, but it is my favorite time of the year. :)

PumpkingButternut2_Web

Risotto with roasted butternut squash and andouille sausage

The Butternut Squash – The squash I used was quite small and yielded only 1 ½ cups of roasted squash (2 cups uncooked).  The 1 ½ cups was plenty for this dish.  Therefore, if you use a bigger squash, save the unused portion for another purpose.

The andouille – As you saw in the recipe, the andouille doesn’t get added until midway through the cooking process.  Because andouille is a smoked sausage, sauteing it with the onion can “over-render it”, drying it out and making it chewy.  Any other smoked sausage works great in this dish (e.g., Kielbasa or Spanish Chorizo), but remember not to add it until halfway through.  Uncooked sausage such as Mexico chorizo or Italian sausage are also great in this risotto; however, uncooked sausage should be saute’ early with the onion to ensure that the sausage cooks through.

The herbs – Sage is always an excellent choice for any squash and for many sausages; therefore, if you have it, use it.  As far as the parsley goes, it could be replaced with another fresh herb such as basil or cilantro or a combination of parsley and another herb.

Vegetarian and vegan option – Replace the chicken stock with vegetable broth and eliminate the sausage.  To replace the smokiness and spiciness of the sausage, add ¼ tsp. smoked paprika and ¼ tsp. chile powder halfway through the cooking process.

Because this risotto has proteins of sausage and cheese, I normally serve it as the main meal with a side of chopped tomatoes or tomato slices.  It doesn’t need any more than that.

This Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto with Andouille has been shared with the following blog hops:  Clever Chicks, Made With Love MondaysMelt In Your Mouth Mondays   .

Tags: , ,

45 Responses to “Butternut Squash Risotto With Andouille Sausage”

1. Diane Balch September 29, 2013 at 5:51 pm #

Pinning this… love the seasonal flavors.. Your recipes are so wonderful.

• mj October 3, 2013 at 11:57 pm #

Thanks so much Diane!

2. Amber @ The Cook's Sister September 25, 2013 at 11:38 am #

What a lovely risotto! I like the innovative presentation of the andouille sausage. On my list of things to try!

3. Jodee Weiland September 23, 2013 at 5:15 pm #

Looks delicious! I love butternut squash and risotto…great idea!

4. Javelin Warrior September 23, 2013 at 4:41 pm #

I love butternut squash with risotto – but I’ve never tried making it with andouille sausage! That sounds delicious… And I always seem to have leftovers of risotto because I made a crazy amount each time. And you’re right – it definitely loses its creaminess once it has a chance to sit or chill…

• mj September 23, 2013 at 8:46 pm #

Thanks Mark! Squash and andouille are a great combination!

5. Bil September 17, 2013 at 2:17 pm #

Hi MJ, love, love, love this recipe! I so enjoy making risotto and to put a fall squash in it is a terrific idea. And…andouille? Brilliant! Gotta try this one.

• mj September 17, 2013 at 9:55 pm #

Thanks so much Bill! You can’t go wrong with andouille. :)

6. Nami | Just One Cookbook September 16, 2013 at 10:34 pm #

That’s one gorgeous shot of butternut squash! Ahhh it’s fall. No matter how we struggle we’re feeling fall is here. I need to start enjoying all fall recipes like this delicious risotto!

7. Leona September 15, 2013 at 9:05 pm #

Love the fall flavors! I am sooo ready for sweaters and long cool walks.

• mj September 17, 2013 at 10:01 pm #

I’m with you on that Leona! Thanks for stopping by!

8. Helene D'souza September 15, 2013 at 11:10 am #

At least you had a harvest, I only “harvest” itchy hairy caterpillars here. Yes smoked sausage (love smoked sausages!!!) and butternut risotto, this is a brilliant flavor choice MJ. Wish I could come for dinner!

9. Katherine Martinelli September 13, 2013 at 4:05 pm #

I just adore butternut squash in risotto and I love the smoky element that the andouille must add in this one – I’m definitely trying this combo soon!

10. Sissi September 12, 2013 at 1:07 pm #

MJ, I haven’t had risotto for ages! I would have never thought of putting butternut squash into a risotto. Such a lovely idea (not to mention the sausage… always welcome!). I see that autumn is slowly arriving to your table… Beautiful photos (you should give vegetable photography lessons!).

• mj September 12, 2013 at 9:43 pm #

Thanks so much Sissi! Taking the picture of the squash and the pumpkin was fun. It may have been because I had just picked them both from the garden so it was very special.

11. Nisa Homey September 12, 2013 at 11:21 am #

Perfect recipe for the weather!! and yummy click too :)

12. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen September 12, 2013 at 10:14 am #

I don’t think you’re rushing fall at all.. we’ve so little time in these “shoulder” seasons to get to all of our favorite recipes, don’t you think? I love that last photo!! Just gorgeous.. and it makes me want to get going trying this recipe too:) xx

• mj September 12, 2013 at 9:41 pm #

Totally agree Barbara! Definitely need to enjoy the shoulder months as much as possible! I’m past ready for comfort foods.

13. Treat and Trick September 12, 2013 at 5:03 am #

This one pot meal looks so yum!

14. bellini September 12, 2013 at 4:37 am #

risotto seems so fitting this time of year with its creamy texture and comforting flavours. i also like the addition of andouille.

15. Charles September 12, 2013 at 3:55 am #

Hi MJ, I finally had some andouille recently… I must admit that I wasn’t a fan at all! After some research though, it appears that an andouille in France is completely different to in the US, lol!

You can see a good example of the two here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andouille

I’ve never seen the US version, so I’ll just have satisfy myself with look at your photos, but it does look like a lovely dish!

• mj September 12, 2013 at 9:39 pm #

Charles, thanks for the link. No, they are not the same. Just the color of the French type andouille is unappealing to me. I’ll have to post of picture of cajun andouille. It’s really, really good sausage!

16. Soni September 11, 2013 at 1:28 pm #

I love Risotto and with the Andouille sausage and butternut squash in there I can imagine it taste so so delicious!One of my most favorite dishes :)

17. Ramona September 11, 2013 at 4:48 am #

You home grown squash is beautiful. I wish I had a big enough garden to grow such a bounty. I think your inspiration to make this risotto was perfect. I love how you paired it with the sausage… it’s a great balance of sweet and savory!

18. ATasteOfMadness September 10, 2013 at 10:56 pm #

I have really got to try risotto one of these days… this looks fabulous :)

19. Viviane Bauquet Farre - Food and Style September 10, 2013 at 9:06 pm #

Marvelous, MJ! This risotto looks wonderful.

20. Katerina September 10, 2013 at 10:02 am #

I love risotto and I so much enjoy fall and the pumpkin invasion! Looks delicious!

21. easyfoodsmith September 10, 2013 at 4:19 am #

Beautiful risotto! Beautifully colorful that it is, it looks equally delicious. Sausage is a wonderful addition!

22. ChgoJohn September 10, 2013 at 1:35 am #

Great recipe and dish, MJ! I wasn’t expecting the andouille sausage and I bet it’s wonderful here. I make a pumpkin risotto but never have I included sausage meat. Maybe next time… :)

• mj September 12, 2013 at 9:29 pm #

Thanks John! I love sausage and winter squash and have many recipes that use them both. Hope you give it a try.

23. Terra September 9, 2013 at 10:09 pm #

I seriously adore Fall, love all the Fall foods, and could add butternut squash in everything!! Risotto is such a delicious and fun recipe to make! Adding the sausage is such a perfect flavor combination!!

24. Vicki Bensinger September 9, 2013 at 8:46 pm #

We have butternut squash year round and sometimes more than once a week. We love it. I have to say though I have never added it to risotto, but next time I will. Great recipe and looks so tasty.

• mj September 12, 2013 at 9:28 pm #

Thanks Vicki! It’s hard to get butternut year round here. they start disappearing around May. It was fun getting a couple from my garden. :)

25. Debra September 9, 2013 at 8:18 pm #

Truly, this sounds like a wonderful combination. I think we would love it too.

26. Reese September 9, 2013 at 10:21 am #

Your Butternut Squash Risotto is my first taste of fall, MJ! We haven’t fully made the transition to Fall cooking yet – thanks to the wacky weather in Minnesota, but I really can’t wait for apple crisp, pumpkin soup and all the comforting dishes associated with the season. I see that you have 6 roasted garlic in the recipe. Mmmm…just the way I like it!

PS: How nice to have a German sausage smoked house in the neighborhood. We live in an area with German descent, but there isn’t one sausage smoked house except for a couple butcher shops. They do make their own sausages, but you know it doesn’t sound as exciting as a German sausage smoked house:)

• mj September 12, 2013 at 9:26 pm #

Thanks Reese! If you ever get out here, I’ll take you over to Alpine. It’s a tiny little place and always busy. They make everything there and it taste freshly made.

27. Giulietta | Alterkitchen September 9, 2013 at 3:57 am #

Yahooo, pumpkin and squash season is open! Love them!
    Love your risotto :)

28. cquek September 9, 2013 at 1:22 am #

yes one plate please

29. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef September 8, 2013 at 9:01 pm #

I’m dying to make this. Pumpkin risotto is a favorite of mine and I’ve got plenty of sage growing. Yum.

30. Angie@Angie's Recipes September 8, 2013 at 9:01 pm #

I love butternut squash! Actually it’s my favourite pumpkin. The risotto looks super duper delicious, MJ.

31. john@kitchenriffs September 8, 2013 at 5:52 pm #

Such a nice recipe! And perfect for the fall weather that we actually expect to see at the end of this week (but before that it’s going to hit 100 again!!). Andouille might be one of my favorite sausages, although I must confess I’ve never met a sausage I didn’t like. Great way to use squash – I saw a bunch at the grocery store today that I was eying, although I didn’t purchase any – there’s still zucchini to deal with! Good stuff – thanks.

• mj September 12, 2013 at 9:24 pm #

Thanks John! It has actually cooled off here and gotten even cooler this week with some well needed rain, so I’ve had comfort on the mind. For me it’s a toss up – andouille or chorizo – love them both, but then like you – love all sausages.

32. Choc Chip Uru September 8, 2013 at 3:30 pm #

Squash is such a delicious ingredient, I want to eat this ravioli through my screen :)

Choc Chip Uru

33. Tessa September 8, 2013 at 3:28 pm #

Love that risotto! Butternut squash and the andouille sausage is such a wonderful combination. This is such a great fall dish!

1. Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto | IMG Recipes| Share Your Favorite Recipes, Cooking Tips & Food Images - April 11, 2014

[…] Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto A spicy risotto with roasted butternut squash and andouille sausage. For full “Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto” recipe click here […]