Green Chile Sweet Potato Hash Browns

Sweet potato hashbrowns with green chile, cheese, and an egg

Everybody loves Sunday Brunch whether it’s at home or going out. On those Sunday’s when you go out, where’s you favorite place?  Ours is, and always has been, the Frontier Restaurant in Albuquerque.  It’s a funky place occupying half a city block directly across the street from the University of New Mexico. We don’t go often because it’s very crowded on Sunday mornings, but when the college is on break, it gets slow and relatively quiet – perfect for Sunday brunch. When we go, we invariably get the same things – Bobby gets the Huevos Rancheros with Red (chile sauce) and I get the Western-style hash browns with an egg.  The Huevos include 2 eggs, beans, and red chile on corn tortillas with a freshly made flour tortilla for $6.59.  The Western-Stye hash browns are a LARGE stack of hashed brown potatoes, piled with chopped green chile and cheese, all for the bank busting price of $3.10!  With the egg, tack on another $1.35 for a total of $4.45.  Two delicious, plentiful meals for less than $12 and because it’s self-serve, there’s no tip.  On the way out, we grab a dozen freshly made flour tortillas, still warm, for $2.99. So if you’re ever in Albuquerque and want to get a cheap and delicious New Mexico meal with GOOD chile and a VERY interesting atmosphere, stop by the Frontier.  It will definitely be a meal and an experience to remember. To learn more about the Frontier Restaurant, read Gil’s Thrilling (and Filling) review.  He obviously has spent as much time there as I have.

Night shot of the Frontier Restaurant

Image courtesy of Gil’s Thrilling (and Filling) Blog

Even though I absolutely LOVE the Frontier’s Western-Style Hash browns, they are heavy with the starchy potatoes; therefore, when I make them at home, I try to make them a little healthier.  I substitute part, if not all of the potatoes with sweet potatoes.  The cheese and pile of roasted, chopped green chile?  They stay.  Add the egg, some chopped tomatoes on the side and we’ve got a tasty, healthy Sunday brunch.

A little something interesting (from Wikipedia):  The first known mention of the term “hashed brown potatoes” was in 1888 by food author Maria Parloa.  Hashed brown potatoes, also called hashed browned potatoes, was later shortened to “hash browns”.  The first use of the term “hash browns” was in the pilot episode of the original “The Twilight Zone” in 1959, one of my favorite shows as a kid (actually I still like watching the old black & white reruns).

Southwestern hashbrowns with New Mexico green chile and cheese

Western style hashbrowns with green chile and sweet potatoes

The Potatoes – For the potatoes you can use sweet potatoes or white, red, or yellow potatoes or a combination.  Some times I mix it up or even cut the potatoes into small cubes (instead of grating) for country-style fries. The cooking process is the same, but with the cubes, you’ll need to increase the cooking time by 2 to 3 minutes.

The Cheese – Cheddar or Monterey Jack are best.

The Chile – Any kind of roasted, peeled, and chopped fleshy chile works with hash browns.  It you can’t handles spicy, use roasted bell of any colors.  It’s hard to beat the combination of potatoes and peppers, so use you favorites of both.

Rinsing potatoes – High starch content potatoes, like Russets, can make hash browns gummy.  So if you choose potatoes such as Russets or any large white, you might want to rinse with cold water after grating to remove some of the excess starch.  Red potatoes, sweet potatoes, and new potatoes (any potato less than 2″ (~5 cm) in diameter) are relatively low in starch content, so I never bother to rinse those.

Non-vegetarian Option - Add bacon or Mexican chorizo to the hash browns

Sunday brunch, Sunday supper or a meal any day of the week, these sweet potato hash browns with green chile are a fast and fabulous option.

These Sweet Potato Hash Browns with Green Chile has been shared with My Meatless Mondays, Clever Chicks Blog Hop , Wonderful Food Wednesday   .

Tags: , , ,

77 Responses to “Green Chile Sweet Potato Hash Browns”

1. Javelin Warrior October 16, 2013 at 3:20 pm #

I love reruns of the Twilight Zone! I haven’t seen some in quite a while and I’ve only seen a handful to begin with… These potatoes sound wonderful, MJ, and I love the combination of hash browns with roasted green chiles (and a little chorizo couldn’t hurt!)…

• mj October 17, 2013 at 10:06 pm #

I’m not surprised that you’re a Twilight Zone fan. :) I Love them! Thanks so much for your comment Mark! And yes, chorizo is great with this dish.

2. Amber @ The Cook's Sister September 25, 2013 at 11:35 am #

Green chile + breakfast food = my favourite meal any day!

3. Roz September 7, 2013 at 7:23 pm #

Hash browns with a brilliant golden egg running all over them . . . when can you come and fix breakfast for me MJ? I’m drooling!

xo
    Roz

4. Raymund September 7, 2013 at 4:38 pm #

I definitely want to wake up with those waiting on the breakfast table

5. Asmita September 3, 2013 at 8:05 am #

This looks like such a satisfying breakfast! The perfect way to start the morning!
    Absolutely delicious!

6. Terra August 31, 2013 at 6:15 pm #

Yup, I do love me a hearty delicious Sunday brunch!!! One of my favorite breakfast choices is Huevos Rancheros, sooooooo good….especially with homemade tortillas! I love the idea of mixing sweet potatoes with green chiles, perfect combo with yummy eggs! It looks delicious for sure, Hugs, Terra

• mj September 1, 2013 at 12:25 pm #

Thanks Terra! We obviously have the same tastes in brunches. :)

7. Nancy/SpicieFoodie August 29, 2013 at 9:45 am #

My stomach just growled so loudly, it wants your dish MJ!:) The restaurant sounds great and so do the prices. I love hash browns but have never made them with sweet potatoes. Thanks so much for sharing this, can’t wait to have it for brunch or even dinner.:)

• mj August 29, 2013 at 2:07 pm #

Thanks Nancy! Yes, those prices are unheard of! I guess it can keeps its prices down because of the huge volume of business. I think you would love sweet potato hash browns!

8. Helene D'souza August 29, 2013 at 8:52 am #

Nice a sweet potato hash brown. You know Mj, when I started blogging I hadn’t heard all these American food names before. I had no clue what hash brown meant. lol
    Brunch is like a universal time on Sunday’s here. =D I might try yours with different chillies since we don’t get those here one fine Sunday evening.

• mj August 29, 2013 at 2:06 pm #

Thanks Helene! Well, you and others have certainly introduced me to some new culinary dish/terminology/ingredients as well. :) As you know, any type of chile would work with this. Enjoy!

9. Karen (Back Road Journal) August 29, 2013 at 5:55 am #

You could give the restaurant a lesson on Sunday brunch ideas. :)

10. Nami | Just One Cookbook August 29, 2013 at 12:09 am #

What a hearty breakfast MJ! Although I love all kinds of sweets, when it comes to breakfast, I always prefer savory (or both – I can eat sweet as “dessert” after savory!). If you cook this on weekend, I would be looking forward to the weekend. :) Delicious!

11. easyfoodsmith August 28, 2013 at 11:06 pm #

This plate of food has comfort written all over it!

12. Reese August 28, 2013 at 5:49 pm #

Love it every time you re-introduce us to something familiar yet taken for granted. Hash browns sure have a better ring! I don’t think we get to visit the Frontier anytime soon, so your sweet potato hash browns will be an excellent one to include in our brunch rotation. May be in dinner rotation too!! I always love a good ‘breakfast-dinner’, especially a comforting one like this

• mj August 29, 2013 at 2:04 pm #

Thanks Reese! Yep – we do have this for dinner at times. :)

13. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen August 28, 2013 at 3:36 pm #

I do so love going out for breakfast, possibly more so than going out for dinner. There is something to be said for being served such a lovely meal right after waking up:) I think I’d prefer yours, the idea of healthy plus the sweet potato flavor is so appealing!! xx

• mj August 29, 2013 at 2:03 pm #

Thanks Barbara! I have to say that I’m with you – I prefer going out for brunch more than dinner. By the time dinner comes around I’m ready to sit back and unwind for the rest of the evening.

14. Sissi August 28, 2013 at 2:06 pm #

Since there is no way I can visit the Frontier, I am more than happy to discover this recipe. The dish looks beautiful and I can very well imagine why you love it for brunch. For me it also sounds like a perfect Sunday brunch (especially with chorizo you have suggested!).

• mj August 29, 2013 at 2:02 pm #

Thanks Sissi! I wish you could visit the Frontier. Wouldn’t it be fun to meet there for brunch? :)

15. Vicki Bensinger August 27, 2013 at 8:08 pm #

Oh I bet this would be great with those Hatch Chile’s I have. Great recipe my family would love this for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

• mj August 27, 2013 at 11:41 pm #

Absolutely Vicki! Hatch chile is a New Mexico chile so go for it! I do think your family would love it.

16. Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen August 27, 2013 at 7:38 pm #

That restaurant sounds like a place I would love going to. This is some meal!

• mj August 27, 2013 at 11:39 pm #

Having seen many of the restaurants that you frequent Peachy, you would love the Frontier! :)

17. Lesley August 27, 2013 at 1:40 pm #

I Love sweet potatoes and just roasted up 5lbs of Hatch Chile’s this weekend. This sounds like a delicious use for some of them!

• mj August 27, 2013 at 11:37 pm #

You go girl! This is a great use for some of those chiles!

18. Bill August 27, 2013 at 1:17 pm #

Now that’s a breakfast, MJ! I love sweet potatoes and eggs and the green chilis are a great addition! Looks like I need to put this on my to do list for a lazy Sunday morning. Awesome post!

• mj August 27, 2013 at 11:37 pm #

Thanks so much Bill! Can you get green chile where you are?

19. Soni August 27, 2013 at 12:47 pm #

This looks perfect for my weekend brunch!!Love sweet potatoes and its such a healthier and tastier alternative to regular potatoes!Would love to try it :)

20. Charles August 27, 2013 at 9:30 am #

Hi MJ, I’m not such a huge fan of sweet potatoes, but a half/half mix of regular/sweet would be perfect for me I think! I love hash browns – topped with a fried egg it’s perfect feel-good food… love the idea of adding chorizo as well. Would be the icing on the proverbial cake :)

• mj August 27, 2013 at 11:35 pm #

Totally agree about the egg Charles! Half and half works great here. I’ve done that many times myself. And yes, chorizo…perfection! :)

21. Sanjeeta kk August 27, 2013 at 6:43 am #

Menu for my Sunday brunch is decided! Yummy…

22. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz August 27, 2013 at 4:51 am #

I am reading this in bed in the morning….so you can imagine I want this for breakfast NOW lol. Looks so good and that sound like a great place for brunch at great prices.

23. Katerina August 27, 2013 at 3:54 am #

Although we do not make brunch around here, I would love to have this dish on my breakfast table. This is so delicious!

24. Anne@FromMySweetHeart August 27, 2013 at 12:58 am #

Oh my gosh how incredible this looks! I love hash browns but have never thought to use sweet potatoes before. So sweet and spicy…..and of course everything is better with a warm runny egg on top! Beautiful photos! : )

• mj August 27, 2013 at 11:33 pm #

Thanks so much Anne! I think you would love sweet potato hash browns. They aren’t near as starchy and of course that wonderful sweet potato flavor.

25. Swathi August 26, 2013 at 9:07 pm #

Delicious plate of breakfast dish, I am in love ti. When I plan to visit New Mexico sure I am going to try this. Thanks Mj

• mj August 27, 2013 at 1:06 pm #

Thanks swathi! Hope you get over here to try this.

26. Liz August 26, 2013 at 6:49 pm #

Your version looks terrific, MJ! So many magnificent flavors…a party for my mouth!

27. The Wimpy Vegetarian August 26, 2013 at 3:29 pm #

I love this MJ. I love hash browns, how could you not?, but never ever thought about using sweet potatoes. This is just genius!!!

• mj August 26, 2013 at 7:31 pm #

Thanks Susan! I’m am sweet potato lover so I use them in a lot of dishes that call for regular potatoes.

28. minnie@thelady8home August 26, 2013 at 8:59 am #

This is so gooooood!!! This is going to be our lunch today. Looks fantastic!!!!

• mj August 26, 2013 at 7:29 pm #

Thanks Minnie! Hope you like it!

29. Treat and Trick August 26, 2013 at 8:47 am #

I just love this simple yet great tasting meal!

30. Ramona August 26, 2013 at 7:43 am #

I love all the flavors of sweet, spicy and savory. That egg looks perfect too. :) Wonderful looking hash. :)

31. Judy @Savoring Today August 26, 2013 at 6:55 am #

We love sweet potato hash browns and adding green chile would be fabulous — great recipe, MJ, and the photo is gorgeous!

• mj August 26, 2013 at 7:29 pm #

Thanks so much Judy!

32. ChgoJohn August 25, 2013 at 3:35 pm #

That’s a great breakfast, MJ. A mix of sweet potatoes with ‘regular” would make it even better. Love the idea. If I’m ordering breakfast at a Mexican restaurant, like Bobby, I’ll order huevos rancheros every time. I just cannot resist them once I see them on a menu. :)

• mj August 25, 2013 at 8:19 pm #

Thanks John! Actually, the one’s in the picture have 1 new potato grated in, but the sweet potato was much bigger so that’s all you see. It’s not pretty, but it’s so good! All you Huevos Rancheros people. :)

33. Cheryl August 25, 2013 at 3:00 pm #

And a huge cinnamon roll on the side! Frontier’s specialty.

• mj August 25, 2013 at 8:16 pm #

I’ve always have to split the cinnamon rolls with at least 2 other people. :) They’re HUGE and SO sweet, but SO good! Thanks for stopping by Cheryl!

34. CCU August 25, 2013 at 2:27 pm #

I don’t think hash browns have ever looked so enticing :D

CCU

35. Nisa Homey August 25, 2013 at 12:02 pm #

Oh!! yummo!! my kind of breakfast!!

36. john@kitchenriffs August 25, 2013 at 10:13 am #

I love hash browns made out of sweet potatoes! I don’t make them that way often, but you’ve reminded me how great they are – I need to again. And I happen to have some Hatch chilies on hand! One of the supermarkets I frequent has a ton of them this year – pretty unusual. So I’ve been stocking up. ;-) Fun pictures – an egg makes almost any picture look better, don’t you think? ;-)

• mj August 25, 2013 at 8:15 pm #

Thanks John! What a happy guy you must be to have some Hatch chile! New Mexico has had a good crop this year in spite of the drought. Good to see you’re stocking up. :) And yes – the egg saves these pictures! :)

37. Gomo | cHow Divine August 25, 2013 at 9:53 am #

Ooh this sounds wonderful! I love almost all breakfast/brunch items. Like your husband, I love huevos rancheros. But I love all things hash (the food kind :P) too! This sounds like my kind of brunch. Great recipe MJ!

• mj August 25, 2013 at 8:13 pm #

Thanks Gomo! I love Huevos as well, but I just can’t resist those Western fries. I actually like my Huevos Rancheros more. :)

38. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef August 25, 2013 at 8:50 am #

When I lived in the states and I was out very late, a plate of potatoes and eggs was always required before going home. :)

I love this stuff!

• mj August 25, 2013 at 8:12 pm #

Thanks Maureen! Well, the Frontier is the place that people like you (us) would go after a night on the town. They use to be opened 24/7, but now they close at 2 am and open again at 5 I believe.

39. Viviane Bauquet Farre August 25, 2013 at 8:37 am #

Mj! It’s Sunday morning and you’ve made me crave this for brunch! Love the history lesson too… Absolutely delicious and satisfying recipe!

• mj August 25, 2013 at 8:10 pm #

Thanks Viviane! I thought the history was pretty interesting as well.

40. beyond the peel August 25, 2013 at 8:25 am #

My kind of breakfast. Anything with a fried egg, cheese and chilies. Yum! It’s so funny to think of the price differences from the States to Canada. One meal with coffee would cost a minimum of 12 $, even if it was self serve. The other thing I find surprising is that a bag of 12 tortillas is 2.99 and a regular sized bag is around 6-7 dollars (if you can even find them). Thanks for sharing. If we’re ever in the area we’ll go check it out.

• mj August 25, 2013 at 8:10 pm #

Thanks Frances! Yes, that is quite a price difference! Of course, the Frontier is one of the cheapest places in town to eat. You can’t get those prices anywhere else.

41. Tessa August 25, 2013 at 8:25 am #

I never thought of making hash browns with sweet potatoes! Looks so delicious! Great idea MJ!

• mj August 25, 2013 at 8:08 pm #

Thanks Tessa! I think you would love them, especially if you love sweet potatoes.

42. Angie@Angie's Recipes August 25, 2013 at 7:45 am #

I want some sweet potato hashbrowns so badly! This is so comforting and tasty.

• mj August 25, 2013 at 8:07 pm #

Thanks Angie! I agree!

43. Janet August 25, 2013 at 7:27 am #

We are loving your recipes and your kitchen notes. I find myself not wanting to leave your website, only long enough to try another recipe. Thanks so much for sharing.

• mj August 25, 2013 at 9:04 am #

Thanks is much for the wonderful comment Janet! So glad to hear from you and that you’re enjoying my recipes! Have a great Sunday.

44. Dale Green August 25, 2013 at 6:58 am #

I wish I had a sweet potato in the kitchen right now, I’d make em this minute!
    love, D

• mj August 25, 2013 at 9:01 am #

Thanks Dale! Have a great Sunday! XOXO

45. Debra August 25, 2013 at 6:52 am #

I am adding Frontier to the list for our next NM trip. Until then, I will make these at home. Thanks!

• mj August 25, 2013 at 8:58 am #

Thanks Debra! Next time you’re here, we should meet at the Frontier. :)

1. Cooking With Eggs | We Dip It Cooking - August 10, 2014

[…] { var n; for(n = 1; n Easy Easter Eggs from the OvenBill Fuller’s Korean Dol Sot Bi Bim BapGreen Chile Sweet Potato Hash Browns.broken_link, a.broken_link { text-decoration: line-through; […]

2. Method for cooking eggs over easy | MJ's Kitchen - July 22, 2014

[…] Sweet Potato Hashbrowns with Green Chile […]

3. Green Chile and Lime Zest Relish | MJ's Kitchen - May 13, 2014

[…] the remaining two ingredients – lime zest and salt. WOW!  This relish took definitely takes Sweet Potato Hash Browns up a notch and adds a real zing to our Migas. We can’t stop eating it!  Thanks […]