An Old Raspberry Vinegar and Sparkling Raspberry Soda

RaspberrySodaVin2_Web

You know how some recipes just never die and we’re so glad they didn’t? This raspberry vinegar is one of them. It’s a raspberry vinegar recipe from 1900 that I found in the New York Times a while back.  It looked so easy to make and, how could it not be good if it’s still being made over a century later?  Now that I’ve made it a few times, I’ll probably never use another raspberry vinegar recipe again.

To make this vinegar, raspberries are first macerated in red wine vinegar for 3 days, strained to extract the  juice, then cooked down with some sugar.  Depending on how long you cook it down, you could end up with more of a raspberry syrup that can be poured over ice cream or used for raspberry vinegar sodas. By decreasing the cook time you could make a thinner vinegar that works great in any vinaigrette that you want a little bit of a raspberry flavor.

Below is the original recipe and the adjusted recipe that I used. The original recipe calls for 1 1/2 quarts of raspberries and yields a quart of vinegar. I prefer to make smaller batches, so I adjusted the recipe for 2 cups of raspberries which yields about 1 cup of vinegar. Further along in this post you’ll find how just 1 teaspoon of this wonderful vinegar is used to make a refreshing raspberry vinegar soda.

RaspberryVinegar_Web

Proportions – This recipe can be adjusted to any amount of raspberries that you have on hand.  Just use the original ratio of 1 ½ quarts berries : 1 cup red wine vinegar.  For every cup of extracted juice, use 1/2 pound sugar.

Extracting juice – Don’t be afraid to make a mess here.  In order to get all of the juice from the macerated berries you must squeeze the cheesecloth as shown in the picture.  Just continue to tighten and squeeze until no more juice can be extracted.

Cook time – With only 1 cup of extracted juice, the 15 minute cook time suggested in the original recipe yields a raspberry syrup rather than a vinegar.  It was an excellent syrup, but almost too thick for a vinaigrette.  It’s perfect for some of the suggestion below.  For a thinner vinegar, reduce the cooking time to 10 – 12 minutes. The thinner vinegar can be used the same way as the thicker vinegar, but works better for vinaigrettes.

Suggested Uses

Raspberry Vinegar Float
Raspberry Vinegar Tart
Topping for Vanilla Ice Cream
Syrup for breakfast crepes
Sparkling Raspberry Vinegar Soda (below)
Raspberry Vinaigrette or any vinaigrette

Sparkling Raspberry Vinegar Soda

Raspberry Soda made with Raspberry Vinegar

Hope you enjoy this Raspberry Vinegar and Raspberry Soda as much as we do!

Looking for another way to use raspberries, check out this Mixed Berry Jam.

These Raspberry Vinegar and Soda recipes have been shared with the following blog hops:  Katherine Martinelli’s non-alcoholic beverages   .

Tags:

49 Responses to “An Old Raspberry Vinegar and Sparkling Raspberry Soda”

1. ___________ April 13, 2014 at 1:04 am #

Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your post seem to be running off the screen in Internet explorer.
    I’m not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with web browser compatibility but I figured I’d post to let you know.
    The design look great though! Hope you get the problem resolved soon.
    Kudos

2. Zechstein ancient magnesium, January 23, 2014 at 9:43 pm #

It’s a shame you don’t have a donate button! I’d most certainly donate to this brilliant blog!
    I guess for now i’ll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.
    I look forward to new updates and will talk about this website with
    my Facebook group. Chat soon!

3. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef August 4, 2013 at 6:36 pm #

I’ve never made a homemade vinegar before. It’s always been so easy to pick them up at the gourmet shop. I will try this old-time recipe once raspberries come in season. It looks wonderful.

• mj August 4, 2013 at 10:31 pm #

Maureen you really should try making your own vinegar. It’s very easy and the results are always better than what you can buy.

4. Reese July 30, 2013 at 3:57 pm #

Ah, this is neat! Mark’s mom has one bottle of raspberry vinegar (home-made by the aunt) sitting in the cabinet for a long time. She doesn’t really know what to do with it. Thanks to your brilliant idea. I can definitely help putting this homemade vinegar in good use now. My MIL and aunt will be happy:)

• mj July 30, 2013 at 7:33 pm #

Thanks Reese! I do have to give you a warning here – This is a very syrupy and sweet vinegar, so if the raspberry vinegar your MIL has is made without sugar, I probably wouldn’t use it in a soda, unless you added sugar. So be sure to check first.

5. Charles July 30, 2013 at 12:40 pm #

That sounds, and looks, fantastic – gorgeous deep colour. I love the bottle it’s in too – so pretty. It seems really strange to me – vinegar over ice-cream or in lemonade, but I suppose it’s more of a delicious sweet flavour than a super sharp, astringent “vinegar” flavour!

• mj July 30, 2013 at 7:30 pm #

Thanks Charles! This is really a sweet vinegar and not a very astringent vinegar flavor, so over ice cream, it’s quite rich.

6. Swathi July 30, 2013 at 9:56 am #

This is so tempting soda, I love to the core MJ.

7. Vicki Bensinger July 29, 2013 at 8:33 pm #

I love both of these recipes. I’m definitely saving these. This will be a nice addition to my holiday gift giving. Thank you for sharing it. When I get back home I’m making that Raspberry Vinegar.

• mj July 29, 2013 at 10:13 pm #

Thanks Vicki! I was thinking the same thing about the vinegar. What a great gift it will make!

8. Sanjeeta kk July 29, 2013 at 2:31 am #

What…Raspberry vinegar…how do you get such innovative ideas, MJ….making a vinegar and the a soda with it…just amazing! The fizz in that glass is making me crazy..

• mj July 29, 2013 at 10:03 am #

Thanks Sanjeeta! When you have produce, you can come up with all sorts of ideas. I see you do the same all of the time! :) This particular raspberry vinegar recipe is not the one I use to. It’s similar, but I actually like this one better. Thanks for your wonderful comments as always!

9. Gomo | cHow Divine July 28, 2013 at 7:08 pm #

I can’t get over how gorgeous this drink is! It would be so perfect for brunch alfresco in the summer. My refrigerator is always full of berries in the summer. LOVE love berries. Another must try for me!

• mj July 29, 2013 at 10:01 am #

Thanks Gomo! I’m the same way – during the summer the fridge has a potpourri of berries. :)

10. Nami | Just One Cookbook July 28, 2013 at 8:27 am #

I’ve been a little crazy without eating berries here in Japan… they are either too expensive or don’t exist. Looking at your raspberry vinegar soda…my throat is getting so thirsty and crave for this. Very unique and I want to taste it!!

• mj July 28, 2013 at 1:28 pm #

Thanks Nami! I’d go crazy without berries this time of year, but I’m sure you’ve been able to find something to replace them. Hope you’re having a wonderful trip!!

11. Debra July 28, 2013 at 7:15 am #

I love vintage recipes. This drink looks so refreshing!

12. With few additional ice cubes it must be amazing.

13. Minnie@thelady8home July 27, 2013 at 12:47 pm #

Delightful and refreshing!! Looks stunning and tempting. I just came back from doing yard work and would love to have a glass of that.

• mj July 28, 2013 at 1:25 pm #

Thanks Minnie! This is the perfect drink when you’re hot and damp. :)

14. Tessa July 27, 2013 at 8:34 am #

Wow! I can’t wait to try both recipes! Have a wonderful weekend MJ!

• mj July 28, 2013 at 1:24 pm #

Thanks Tessa! Hope you are having a wonderful weekend as well!

15. Carole July 26, 2013 at 8:01 pm #

Oh, I’m pinning this to try when raspberries are next in season – although I guess frozen would work? Cheers

• mj July 28, 2013 at 1:24 pm #

Thanks Carole! I’ve never tried it with frozen raspberries, but I don’t see why they wouldn’t work. Let me know if you try it and how it turns out.

16. Liz July 26, 2013 at 7:25 pm #

Oh, my. I’d love some of that syrupy raspberry vinegar over vanilla ice cream. It sounds outrageously delicious!

• mj July 28, 2013 at 1:23 pm #

Thanks Liz! It is awesome over ice cream!

17. veena July 26, 2013 at 6:24 pm #

stunning pics.. So refreshing drink

18. wok with ray July 26, 2013 at 1:10 pm #

I love the look of this sparkling drink; it is soooo beautiful and refreshing. This is definitely something to try because I would never thought of using red wine vinegar in a drink. Thank you, MJ and I wish you and Bobby a gorgeous weekend! :)

• mj July 28, 2013 at 1:22 pm #

Thanks Ray! I agree about the vinegar in a a drink. However, this Raspberry Vinegar came out so sweet, that the vinegar was not as strong and just added depth rather than dominated the flavor. Hope you’re having a wonderful weekend as well! Thank you!

19. bellini July 26, 2013 at 6:47 am #

It reminds me of Anne of Green Gables, raspberry cordial and simpler times..

20. Giulietta | Alterkitchen July 26, 2013 at 6:35 am #

What a wonderful and refreshing beverage!

21. Sissi July 26, 2013 at 1:48 am #

Raspberry vinegar is already great as a concept, but the raspberry vinegar soda sounds fabulous. I love the white elegant photos, too. Like straight from a cooking magazine or book (and not the ones from 1900 ;-) ). I feel cooler only looking at your beautiful drink!
    I was just contemplating the other day how soured dishes are cooling and refreshing on hot summer days…. and here you are with a vinegar recipe and a gorgeous sour drink!
    I have been planning to make my own vinegar too (I mean from the scratch) and adding fruits, chile etc. to season it would be a logical next step. I haven’t made it yet though. I think I will look for bottles with the “mother” (there are always some in shops when I look closely…). Thank you for inspiration.

• mj July 28, 2013 at 1:21 pm #

Thanks so much Sissi! Your comments (as well as everyone’s) makes me smile. :) I did play around with this pictures a lot. They are a little more elegant than most of my pics, but just seemed right for these recipes. Your comments are greatly appreciated! I love making my own vinegars from scratch and have been doing it for years. This is not my usual raspberry vinegar recipe, but I think it has replaced it. I love this one and since it can also be used as a syrup, its makes it so much more versatile. Have fun making your own vinegars! Love the idea of adding chile. :)

22. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies July 25, 2013 at 6:18 pm #

We both posted ideas for sodas today! Both made with summer fruit! :D I’ve never thought to make my own raspberry vinegar, but this sounds completely doable.

23. Judy @Savoring Today July 25, 2013 at 2:44 pm #

Oh yum! Saving this one on Pinterest. :)

• mj July 25, 2013 at 5:40 pm #

Thanks Judy!

24. Zsuzsa July 25, 2013 at 12:45 pm #

For sure we will. I just have to get through the apricots first. Thanks for the recipes Peach Lady, I will let you know when I get around to making it.

• mj July 25, 2013 at 5:40 pm #

Thanks Zsuzsa! You have apricots this year? I’m jealous. We had a late freeze, so the apricot crop here was non-existent. :( I hope you do get a chance to make it. It’s so good!

25. Jessica @ My Tasty Theatrical Life July 25, 2013 at 11:58 am #

I love raspberries!!!!

26. Nisa Homey July 25, 2013 at 11:51 am #

Love the colors MJ…..a show stopper!!

27. April @ The 21st Century Housewife July 25, 2013 at 11:06 am #

I love vintage recipes, MJ and this one sounds fantastic. I like your smaller batch idea, that works much better for me! And the soda looks beautiful :)

• mj July 25, 2013 at 5:38 pm #

Thanks April! yep – When I saw 1 quart of vinegar in the original recipe, I thought – what on earth would I do with that much vinegar? Thus the smaller batch. It’s so easy to make that when one batch is gone, it only takes 3 days to have another.

28. john@kitchenriffs July 25, 2013 at 10:47 am #

Gosh, I so love the colors of this! That shade of pink in the top photo is stunning. Photos are quite good too – you’ve been playing, I see. ;-) Great recipes, too. I’ve never made raspberry vinegar or soda, and I’ve obviously been missing out. I gotta try these! This post is so excellent on so many levels – thanks so much.

• mj July 25, 2013 at 5:36 pm #

Thanks so much John! Yes – I’ve been playing. I tried the vinegar and soda in several different settings and this is the one that worked. I always appreciate your comments about my photography since you are one of my mentors. :) And yes – you have been missing out if you haven’t had a raspberry soda. I see the gears turning in your head right now trying to come up with a cocktail. :)

29. Angie@Angie's Recipes July 25, 2013 at 10:38 am #

wow That sparkling drink is a stunner! It must be very refreshing.

• mj July 25, 2013 at 5:33 pm #

Thanks Angie! The drink is VERY refreshing!

1. Raspberry Soda | IMG Recipes| Share Your Favorite Recipes, Cooking Tips & Food Images - April 12, 2014

[…] Raspberry Soda A sparkling raspberry soda made from a sweet and tart raspberry vinegar syrup.For full “Raspberry Soda” recipe click here […]