Not My Mama’s Potato Salad at Food Writer Friday

Potato salad made with a mix of roasted potatoes

My mother and my aunt use to make the BEST sweet pickles. They were perfectly sweet, thick slices of cucumbers with a crispness that everyone in the room heard when you bit into them. The process of making them was long and involved, and something  I should have taken the time to learn over the years, but didn’t.  Aside from just eating the pickles right out of the jar, I loved making mayo and sweet pickle sandwiches, and then there was my mama’s potato salad.  Those sweet pickles made it! They added a sweetness and crunchiness that I’ve never been able to duplicate in a potato salad. Therefore, several years ago I gave up on trying to make my mama’s salad and started working on one that would be just as good, but different. I’ve tried to use many of the same ingredients, but threw in a twist with a mix of roasted potatoes. I roast two to three different types of potatoes which provide a depth of flavor, making the potatoes the star of the salad instead of the pickles.  It still has sweet pickles, just not my mama’s sweet pickles. :)

I’ve shared this recipe with Food Writer Friday.  Have you heard of Food Writer Friday (FWF)? FWF is a website authored by Maureen, the Orgasmic Chef and Helene of Masala Herb.   Maureen and Helene have done a beautiful job introducing us to a variety of food writers from all around the globe through engaging, personal interviews.   A few weeks ago I was contacted by Helene about being interviewed. After getting over the surprise of being asked, I accepted, and was sent some questions and requests. One of those requests was for a recipe from my childhood.  I figured that this potato salad recipe did fit the request, because even though it’s not my mama’s potato salad, she definitely inspired it as she has many of my recipes.  To read the interview, click on over to Food Writer Friday.

Potato Salad spiced with 2 types of chile pepper

A spicy potato salad with a mixed of potatoes

The Potatoes – This salad can be made with a mix of potatoes or just one type of potatoes. I love the mix for the different flavors and textures you get.

The Chile Powders – The amount of chile powders used in this recipe is relatively minimal.  For a spicier salad, add more.  The chile powder can also affect the taste of the salad. I don’t recommend smoked chiles such as chipotle. They can overpower the flavor of the potatoes.

The Pickle Relish – Chopped sweet pickles, sour pickles or a mix can be substituted for the sweet pickle relish.

Tags: , ,

42 Responses to “Not My Mama’s Potato Salad at Food Writer Friday”

1. Nami | Just One Cookbook June 6, 2013 at 1:10 am #

Ah! I just realized that I haven’t finished reading your FWF (I had to stop reading as I was in the middle of something). Now heading over to finish. Your potato salad looks delicious. Got to check the recipe too. :)

2. Raymund June 6, 2013 at 12:54 am #

I never make salads like this without pickles, it just adds a nice dimension to the dish

3. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes June 5, 2013 at 6:08 pm #

Another potato salad recipe for my collection. And there are never too many!

4. Reese June 5, 2013 at 3:31 pm #

I totally adore that you used different potatoes to create depth to the entire dish, MJ. What strikes me most about your potato salad is the generous sprinkles of smoked paprika & various chili powder. A way much better version than some of the country style potato salad I’ve seen around here, even the homemade ones are so-so. Very often, they are soaked in globs of plain white cream. Potato salad – yours a winner!

5. Mette - Italian Notes June 5, 2013 at 7:17 am #

I’ll have to try this recipe. The combination of paprika, chili, dill and tarragon sounds enticing and I like everything with a crush. More to my taste than the traditional Danish potato salads where the potatoes are drowned in a sea of yogurt.

6. Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen June 5, 2013 at 5:28 am #

I love pickles but I’ve never added them to potato salad. I wonder why? I’ll make sure I’ll add pickles to my potato salad the next time I make it.

7. Reiko June 4, 2013 at 7:35 pm #

I love potato salad, and it looks and sounds delicious!! Makes me want to make some right now!

8. Soni June 4, 2013 at 12:33 pm #

Love FWF!! Your potato salad looks lipsmackingly delicious! Heading over right now :)

9. Swathi June 4, 2013 at 11:15 am #

Delicious potato salad MJ, Love to hope over there to see the full recipe. You did a wonderful job friend.

10. Karen (Back Road Journal) June 4, 2013 at 6:52 am #

Wow, it may not be your mother’s potato salad but it sounds wonderful.

11. Charles June 4, 2013 at 2:06 am #

I usually add capers to my potato salad, though I’m not averse to a good pickle too, hehe. Potato salad with roasted potatoes you say? What a unique idea. Sounds delicious – good to see you on Food Writer Fridays too… will head on over to check it out!

12. Ramona June 3, 2013 at 7:26 pm #

Love Maureen and Helene’s series FWF. :) Can’t wait to read the interview and the recipe. :) Heading over now. :)

13. Nisa Homey June 3, 2013 at 10:29 am #

who can resist potato salad….potatoes are the most comforting food on the planet…. yours looks sooo yum….now off to read your interview.

14. Debra June 3, 2013 at 7:07 am #

I think that everyone has a family favorite potato salad (and perhaps pickles) that they are nostalgic about.

15. Giulietta | Alterkitchen June 3, 2013 at 2:36 am #

I love pickles.. now that you’ve mentioned them, I remember that I have a jar full of them at home. I know it won’t last :)

16. ChgoJohn June 2, 2013 at 10:22 pm #

Congratulations on being selected for the interview, though it shouldn’t have come as a surprise. Thanks for your forthright responses and a great potato salad recipe. Loved that you use a mix of potatoes — and the pickle relish is a must! :)

17. Lori Lynn June 2, 2013 at 8:56 pm #

Looking forward to reading the interview. Congrats!
    LL

18. CJ at Food Stories June 2, 2013 at 5:58 pm #

Loved learning more about you :)

19. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef June 2, 2013 at 5:41 pm #

I love this salad! However not as much as I love you. Your blog feels like home. I hope that makes some sense and you don’t assume I’m a stalker. :)

20. Liz June 2, 2013 at 4:50 pm #

Off to read your interview! I need a great potato salad recipe :)

21. Carole June 2, 2013 at 3:48 pm #

Lovely colour on this – popping over to look at the recipe now. Cheers

22. Zsuzsa June 2, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

Peach Lady, that’s HOT. :-)

23. CCU June 2, 2013 at 2:26 pm #

The flavours in this are so unique, love your twist to potato salad :D

CCU

24. Tiffany June 2, 2013 at 11:33 am #

Pickles are SUCH a good idea! NOM!

25. Angie@Angie's Recipes June 2, 2013 at 11:25 am #

That’s an unusual potato salad and I love the unique flavours.

26. Confrats on FWF :) I think that childhood recipes are one of the most interesting. There are some meals my mum used to make and it’s hard to make it the same way.

27. Sissi June 2, 2013 at 10:32 am #

MJ, I could eat potato salads all year round, no matter what season or what time of the day (perfect when chilled for breakfast!) and especially when they include mayonnaise, eggs and pickled cucumbers! This is the most beautiful potato salad I have ever seen: the yellow colour makes it unique!
    Congratulations for the interview! I have just read it and loved it! It was such a pleasure to learn more about you… Now I feel as if I had known you for years ;-)
    PS Thank you once more for the kind “stale bread” message :-)

28. Jeanne (NanaBread) June 2, 2013 at 10:01 am #

Beautiful, MJ! My husband’s aunt used to make the most spectacular sweet pickles, as well. Crunchy, sweet, and loaded with cinnamon, cloves & pickling spices. I never thought to put them in potato salad, but I will now! Also loved the interview. So nice to learn more about you. (PS – LOVE that 80′s photo of you with the fruit tree!) Thanks for sharing! -j

29. john@kitchenriffs June 2, 2013 at 9:24 am #

That was a great interview! Totally loved it. And that picture of you when you were younger is so much fun! Really good recipe too. ;-)

30. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles June 2, 2013 at 7:07 am #

Hello MJ! I agree, pickles add *so* much to salads – an ideal inclusion. I just read your wonderful feature over at Food Writer Friday. My comment is over there :).