Avocado, Orange and Cucumber Salad

Cara Cara Orange, Avocado, and Cucumber

I don’t remember when I discovered that a dinner salad could be more than iceberg lettuce and bottled dressing, but WHEW- I’m so glad I finally did!  Of course I do have to say that there was a time when iceberg lettuce was the only lettuce you could find at the grocer, thus its past popularity.  But now let’s ponder this question.  Does a dinner salad really have to have lettuce at all? Actually – No.

A dinner salad can be just about anything you want it to be. It can be made with just a few ingredients or a whole host of ingredients, none of which are lettuce. The main thing I enjoy about making a salad is incorporating different textures and flavors, and – in my opinion – the fewer the better. This salad is representative of the type of salad that Bobby and I love to eat. It only has three main ingredients – avocado, orange, and cucumber, and the dressing (if you can call it that) is a little lime juice, some sea salt and a dusting of red chile powder.  It’s a refreshing little salad that makes a great brunch, lunch or side at dinnertime.

Salad with oranges and avocado

Green and Orange Salad

The orange – I used Cara Cara orange because they are my favorite orange and I try to eat as many of them as I can this time of year. They are SO good. However, you can use any sweet and tasty orange.  And speaking of oranges, if you missed Anne’s delicious Orange Brown Butter Tart, be sure to check it out. Another fabulous dish for all of the oranges on the market this time of year.

The red chile powder – Use whatever you have in the pantry – cayenne, ancho, NM red chile, chipotle, paprika. You only need a little bit – just enough for a touch of spicy, smokey flavor. Of course you know that I used New Mexico red chile powder, but I’ve also made it with smoked paprika and chipotle powder. All were excellent.

Serving suggestions – We had this salad as a side for my Swiss Chard Leek Quiche, and then again with a spicy pork loin. It went great with both dishes.  I’ve always found that citrus, and of course avocado, make a great side for spicy dishes; therefore, this would be a great salad for enchiladas, chili, or a spicy sandwich.

Similar salads and bites:

Avocado and Cucumber rolls @ DC in Style.

Citrus Salad with Spicy Pepitas

Orange and Cabbage Slaw

This Avocado, Orange and Cucumber Salad has been shared with Made w/ Love Mondays  .

Tags: , , , ,

76 Responses to “Avocado, Orange and Cucumber Salad”

1. Poly Gaity January 25, 2014 at 10:06 am #

This is great combination color and elements. Thanks for your great Presentation

• mj January 26, 2014 at 9:56 am #

Thanks Poly!!! It is a pretty salad isn’t it? :) Tasty, too. Thanks for stopping by!

2. Javelin Warrior January 22, 2014 at 1:01 pm #

This sounds wonderful, MJ – I love the combination of avocado with lime anytime and the addition of orange with cucumber is very intriguing. And of course, the absence of iceberg lettuce is most appreciated :)

3. Coombemill January 22, 2014 at 8:19 am #

Simple pretty and lovely looking, Just how food should be

4. Esky April 15, 2013 at 2:17 pm #

OMG! I’m eating this as I’m writing this comment. I was looking for “different” cucumber salad recipes, something other than the usual cucumber-dill or cucumber-tomato-feta deal (which are great, but I figured there had to be more ways to make a cucumber salad… also I no longer eat animal products, so the feta is no longer an option!). This is soooo good… I used red pepper flakes, but will try smoked paprika when I make this again. Thank you :o)

• mj April 15, 2013 at 4:27 pm #

Thank you SO much Esky! It’s always great to hear from readers while they are eating my food! :) I’m thrilled that you enjoy this salad and that you let me know. You made my day!

5. fati's recipes March 29, 2013 at 2:02 am #

So simple, elegant, yet a delicious combination of flavours and textures :) I love this.

6. The Wimpy Vegetarian March 21, 2013 at 11:19 pm #

This is so simple and elegant, MJ. And it has all the flavors I love. Do you have a particular type of cucumber you like to use?

• mj March 23, 2013 at 7:39 pm #

Thanks Susan! I usually use English cucumbers. I find them less bitter.

7. Cajunville March 21, 2013 at 5:45 am #

Simply delicious!

8. Rita Bose March 20, 2013 at 8:27 pm #

Wow!! Such a simple but delicious salad!! So colourful !!

9. beyondthepeel March 20, 2013 at 6:59 pm #

How simple and beautiful. I love the presentation and the final touch of chili powder.

10. Food Jaunts March 20, 2013 at 11:45 am #

Isn’t it funny how the simple addition of something, like chile powder takes something good to something great? This looks so refreshing and that light sprinkling of chile really takes it over the top.

11. Nami | Just One Cookbook March 19, 2013 at 2:07 pm #

If I see this recipe on the Pinterest or somewhere I know it’s yours right away. It’s very simple look (not in bad way, it’s actually very positive way, ok?) and the sprinkle of chili like that make it signature dish of yours. Lime and chilli – very nice kick to the refreshing flavors from the ingredients. I learned a lot from you how to use spice like this. And it’s so easy to make, and it’s always flavor discovery for me. I am going to try this (in fact very curious!).

• mj March 20, 2013 at 12:21 pm #

WOW Nami – What a extra sweet comment! I never thought about it, but I guess the sprinkling of chile powder has become somewhat of a signature for me. And of course “simple” – :) With two people working from home and preparing 3 meals a day on most days, “simple” is a necessity. I do have to work when I’m not in the kitchen. But even with simple, you can still mess up a lot of dishes. :) I hope you get to make this salad and that you enjoy it!

12. Reese@SeasonwithSpice March 19, 2013 at 1:36 pm #

I make similar salads using avocado, citrus and chili lime dressing whenever we have non-asian foods. Love the simplicity and refreshing flavors. Only if you were my neighbor, MJ! When we work late at night, I could skip making dinner and hop over to your kitchen:)

• mj March 20, 2013 at 10:51 am #

Thanks Reese! And you would be welcome in my kitchen any time just as long as you reciprocated with some of your delicious Asian food! :)

13. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles March 18, 2013 at 6:59 pm #

I could never get over how cold iceberg lettuce was… it’s like it froze at a different temperature than other greens (or, perhaps that was just my mom’s fridge ;-)).

I agree, salads are remarkably adaptive and fun to play with. I too sometimes like to focus on just a few key ingredients and relish the homestyle dressings. The orange in this version really brings the salad to life and I can just imagine how well it pairs with the chili/lime combo. Delicious, refreshing and so darn pretty!

• mj March 20, 2013 at 10:53 am #

Thanks Kelly! Now that you bring it up, I have noticed that iceberg is colder than other lettuce. I actually bought a head the other day at Whole Foods because I wanted to make the wedge salad with bleu cheese dressing and walnut. It was SO cold compared to other lettuces. Maybe that’s why they call it iceberg. :)

14. Heather May March 18, 2013 at 6:20 am #

I can’t wait to try this! It is made with 3 of my favorite things!!! I am hosting a linky part today at http://www.frugalfitfamily.com – please stop by if you can!

• mj March 18, 2013 at 12:38 pm #

Thanks Heather! Glad you dropped by. Headed over to check out your linky party.

15. Raymund March 18, 2013 at 12:58 am #

Nice and simple combination, love the colours too