Pear Apple Cobbler – A Twist on an Old Favorite

My absolutely favorite dessert is the classic southern fruit cobbler (see recipe below).  It is SO easy to make and you can use any fruit that is in season or that you have in the freezer. I’m calling it “classic” because it is one of those recipes that goes back several generations. My southern grandmother made it and I’m sure she got the recipe from her mom.  My mother made it all of the time and I am continuing with the tradition.  I call it “southern” but a friend of mine that was born and raised in New Mexico by native New Mexican parents has used the same recipe all of her life as well. So go figure.  It’s obviously made and loved by a lot of people.

The only problem with the recipe is that it makes enough for 6 people. Since it’s just the two of us, that means Bobby eats two servings and I eat the rest. :) I have no willpower when it comes to this cobbler. If it’s sitting on the counter, I’ll take a bite every single time I walk through the kitchen.  Before you know it, it’s gone.  In an effort to be good, I decided to experiment with the recipe, by cutting back on the quantity as well as the fat and sugar.  The result was excellent!  The first time I made these individual servings I used a Bosc pear. The next time, I added a small Winesap apple with the pear.  Both versions were delicious and very easy to throw together. Bobby and I each got one serving with no tempting leftovers. It was perfect.

The sweetener – I substituted 1 Tbsp. maple syrup for what would have been 1/4 cup sugar from the original recipe. I was amazed that 1 tablespoon of maple syrup provided plenty of sweetness to this little cobbler.

The pecans – These were a really nice touch.  If you can’t find pecans, I’m sure walnuts would be great as well.

The fruit – I used pears and apples because that’s what is in season right now. But you could use any fruit you want.

The topping – A drizzle of maple syrup on the top of the cooked cobblers was a nice touch. You could also top this cobbler with whipped cream or ice cream of course.

For four servings just double the recipe.  For six servings or more, I’d recommend making the classic cobbler below.

There are several variation of this cobbler, but this is the version we’ve always enjoyed. My favorite fruits for this cobbler are peach, rhubarb, strawberry-rhubarb, blueberry, mixed berry, apple, and apple-pear.  Am I missing anything? :)

For a step-by-step guide to the classic southern cobbler, check out Mama’s Strawberry Cobbler.

This Pear Apple Cobbler Recipe has been shared with the following blog hops.  Be sure to click on the links for more delicious recipes!

Mix It Up Monday, My Meatless Monday, Meatless Monday, Melt In Your Mouth Monday, Made With Love Mondays, Bizzy’s Recipe Box, Totally Tasty Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Heath and Soul, Weekend Potluck

Tags: , , ,

53 Responses to “Pear Apple Cobbler – A Twist on an Old Favorite”

1. Lisa March 27, 2014 at 10:52 am #

This cobbler is making me salivate so much that I may have to go and make it immediately! Great tip about the maple syrup!

• mj March 27, 2014 at 8:08 pm #

Thanks Lisa! I hope you do make it and enjoy it as much as we do. :)

2. Su Anne November 9, 2012 at 8:24 am #

Mornin’
    About to make a cherry cobbler based on your recipe, and I notice that it is not listed in the index. Always a pleasure to play with (and eat!) your yummy recipes.
    Hugs,
    SA

• mj November 9, 2012 at 8:39 am #

Good morning! Whoops! Thanks for letting me know!!!! I hope you enjoy your cherry cobbler and wish I could drive up in the cold and wind this weekend and have a taste. Guess I’ll have to make one of my own. :) Thanks for the idea! XOOXO

3. Swathi October 29, 2012 at 4:05 pm #

Delicious cobbler, you know I haven’t made cobbler for long time. this looks perfect. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and Soul blog hop. I am highlighting this recipe.

4. Judy @Savoring Today October 27, 2012 at 10:17 am #

I really like how you mixed the apple and pear here and slipped in some cardamom too! I know what you mean about tempting left overs … if I make a treat for a potluck I make sure I put it on a disposable plate so I can be sure to leave it behind. ;) Thanks for sharing on Hearth & Soul Hop. :)

5. April @ The 21st Century Housewife October 26, 2012 at 1:53 pm #

Your cobblers both sound delicious, and I love the recipe you developed for two. I’m going to need recipes for two soon as my son is heading off to college in Canada in January!

6. Sawsan (Chef in disguise) October 20, 2012 at 1:12 pm #

I have no control when it comes to cobblers too! that’s why the idea of individual portions is pure genious!

7. fati's recipes October 19, 2012 at 7:11 pm #

Oh these are really nice photos…and cobblers, too! :)
    I realised I haven’t subscribed to your blog… I wonder why it’s taken so long :) I love your recipes… Thanks for popping by my blog often, can’t wait to see more of your recipes fill my inbox now :)

8. Jessica October 19, 2012 at 9:31 am #

Looks amazing, sounds amazing, gotta try it! I recently finally got myself a set of ramekins too! I like that you used maple syrup as a sugar sub, I often do that myself for fall recipes. Thanks for sharing at Meatless Monday!!

9. Terra October 18, 2012 at 7:29 pm #

Your cobbler looks like a perfect comfort food! Your addition of cardamom sounds fabulous with this gorgeous dessert:-) Beautiful, Hugs, Terra

10. Reese@SeasonwithSpice October 18, 2012 at 8:29 am #

What a perfect fall recipe, MJ! I can have this all the time. If I made a 6-persons portion, I’d be the one finishing most of it too. Is it true that women have less willpower to resist a sweet temptation than men?:)

11. Giulietta | Alterkitchen October 18, 2012 at 6:59 am #

Your famous cobbler! I must try it!

12. Helene Dsouza I Masala Herb October 18, 2012 at 4:07 am #

haha you should see me in my house when I take a break from computing. There is always some sweet dessert or snack lying on the counter lately and I tend to have a bite every now and then, it just dissapears.

Your cobbler sounds amazing and if its a traditional recipe that has been valued so much by your family, I ll have to try it out once I come across some pears here. I think so it will be great as a sunday dinner dessert and I bet my husband will agree!

13. Javelin Warrior October 15, 2012 at 11:59 am #

I love how you cut back the recipe for just two people. I find myself cooking so much food all the time because I’m trying to make the recipes suitable for families, but most of the time I feel like I should be making about 1/4 of the recipe ;) Thanks so much for sharing this cobbler, MJ, and it sounds and looks fantastic…

14. Tania @ A Perfect Pantry October 15, 2012 at 4:17 am #

This looks gorgeous… yum.

15. All That I'm Eating October 15, 2012 at 4:08 am #

This sounds great. I love the combination of apples, pears, pecans and maple syrup.

16. Raymund October 15, 2012 at 12:52 am #

Very nice autumn dish, love the colours in the photo. It well represents your season there

17. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef October 15, 2012 at 12:12 am #

I love this!! I made one not too long ago but I made the apple bit and put a whole poached pear in the middle and then topped with the cobbler/crispy stuff. I could eat this combo every day, couldn’t you? Beautiful!

18. Liz October 14, 2012 at 6:13 pm #

My household is getting smaller, so this is perfect! I’ve made many peach cobblers, but never an apple or a pear version…time to change that :)

19. Jane October 14, 2012 at 7:47 am #

I love cobblers! It is amazing that just a little bit of maple syrup adds just enough sweetness!

20. Carolyn Jung October 13, 2012 at 9:57 pm #

Warm fruit cobbler — with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. It doesn’t get better than that. ;)

21. France @ Beyond The Peel October 13, 2012 at 5:24 pm #

I am so with you MJ. I have no will power! I’d eat all the leftovers too.

22. Nami | Just One Cookbook October 12, 2012 at 9:37 pm #

Oh MJ your story is way too cute. You have no willpower for cobbler? I have no willpower for any baked sweets. That’s probably half of the reason why I don’t bake. I know I can gain like 3 lbs in 2 days because all the cookies coming out of oven will pretty much go into my tummy. Oh so scary! So I understand your willpower story. I must make your cobbler. Such a lovely dessert with vanilla ice cream…

23. Choc Chip Uru October 12, 2012 at 1:58 pm #

That looks so warming and delish :D

Choc Chip Uru

24. LinsFood October 12, 2012 at 10:01 am #

Perfect for the season! Cobblers are just irresistible, aren’t they? I love them with fresh custard!

25. Katherine Martinelli October 12, 2012 at 9:24 am #

What a delightful dessert! I’m a sucker for cobblers too so I love the portion control on this recipe :-)

26. john@kitchenriffs October 12, 2012 at 8:46 am #

This is genius! We have the same problem – we’re always baking bit batches of stuff, then of course because it’s there we have to eat it! We actually give a lot of stuff away to friends, but still . . . I love cobblers too, and you really can use any fruit. Both of your pictures are quite nice, but I really like the last one – great still life. Thanks for a fun read.

27. Rathai October 12, 2012 at 4:56 am #

I always thought that cobbler was another name for crisps/crumbles, when I saw them on FG and TS, but seeing this recipe I understand it’s different and I’m all curious now because it looks and sounds so delicious. I am a big sucker for desserts that contain fruits, especially apples and pears, so I am sure to try this one. Thank you, MJ!

28. Baker Street October 12, 2012 at 3:12 am #

what a beautiful cobbler and this is the perfect fall dessert, MJ!

29. Anne@FromMySweetHeart October 11, 2012 at 10:11 pm #

MJ…this cobbler looks wonderful! I love apples and pears together in baking. You know, you could bake 6 and I’d be more than willing to take a couple off of your hands! And I LOVE your suggestion for a drizzle of maple syrup! Stunning photography as well. And congrats on your many well deserved awards! : )

30. Biren @ Roti n Rice October 11, 2012 at 9:59 pm #

The pear and apple cobbler looks and sounds so good with the maple syrup. I especially enjoy Bosc pears as they are so sweet. I also like it that you have made into individual servings. I think I will have to make this soon. Gorgeous picture of the pear! :)

31. Gomo October 11, 2012 at 8:40 pm #

This looks sooooo good. And I love that it’s a simple recipe. What a great fall/winter dessert.

BTW, I love your new kitchen! We’ve been dragging our feet on renovating ours :)

32. cakewhiz October 11, 2012 at 8:07 pm #

fruity cobblers just scream “fall”… right?! this pear and apple cobbler looks wonderful! i would love mine with some butterscotch ice cream… hehe

33. Hotly Spiced October 11, 2012 at 5:57 pm #

I love fruit cobber too. (We call it crumble here). Autumn is the perfect time to be enjoying cobbler as the cool nights have you longing for a warming dessert. Your recipe with apples and pears sounds delicious. Congrats on all your awards xx

34. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles October 11, 2012 at 5:33 pm #

Haha, I know all about the ‘eating the rest’ part ;-). My boys get all excited about dessert and then promptly forget about it. I never do :). The spices in your cobbler sound warming and delicious. I’ve never had a cobbler/crisp topping without oatmeal but yours looks gorgeous and besides, who am I to argue with a southern Grandma? ;-). Love the photo of the pears and leaves MJ… beautiful.

35. Tessa October 11, 2012 at 5:14 pm #

Looks like somebody got her kitchen back :). Lovely cobbler! Perfect sized recipe!

36. Nads October 11, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

Cobbler has always been my favorite desert too. Of course, the simplicity, versatility and flavors can’t be beat. But, cobbler is a communal dish. As you said, it’s hard to pass up grabbing a spoonful as you walk by a cobbler on the stove, and after a day of friends and family circulating through the kitchen, this simple dish in a deep pot has nourished and fused them all. I still have a photo of all the women in the kitchen after Brother’s rehearsal dinner, standing around the cobbler pot with spoons, sharing the last of my rhubarb cobbler. My favorite cobbler memories were from Grandma’s house. In the morning the aunts or uncles would take us to gather whatever fruit was available to make into cobbler, blackberries, dewberries, blueberries, mayhaw, crabapples, wild grapes or muscadines. I remember going deep into the woods to “old home places,” long ago deserted by pioneer families. Most of the time the only things remaining of their lives were the apple or pear trees they planted many years before. One time pickins’ were slim for fruit. All Grandma had was a quart of mayhaw juice in the pantry that she had put up for making more mayhaw jelly when the current supply ran out. Despite the absence of fruit, the tart juice with the richness of the sugar and home churned butter infusing the dough left nothing to be desired. I love your idea of using syrup instead of sugar and I never would have thought to add cardamom or nuts. That takes cobbler to a whole new level. If Jim gets off his “no more sweets” kick, I’ll try it soon. Maybe since I won’t have to make as much as usual, he’ll relent. I already have the apples and pears in the fridge. Can’t wait!

37. Zsuzsa October 11, 2012 at 10:05 am #

Me too. I love recipes for two. Those are a synch to increase, but reducing recipes for two people can be a chore. These cobblers look wonderful.

38. CJ at Food Stories October 11, 2012 at 8:40 am #

I love recipes for two and I’m definitely pinning this one for later :-)

39. ChgoJohn October 11, 2012 at 5:44 am #

Like you, I enjoy a good cobbler and I want to try your mix of apples and pears. I hope there’s still some at the market this weekend.

40. Ramona October 11, 2012 at 4:25 am #

Does this mean you have your kitchen back? Yay! I hope we get a post with the remodel before and after. :)

Now onto this gorgeous cobbler. It looks amazing and I love that you made it more “healthy” and perfect for two. Maple syrup is such a great sweetener because you get sweetness and amazing flavor all in one punch. I know what you mean about self control… I do the same thing when it comes to most anything I have in the kitchen. Well done MJ!

41. Angie@Angie's Recipes October 11, 2012 at 2:28 am #

A perfect fall dessert. I love these brown skin pears. Don’t see them over here.

42. Sissi October 11, 2012 at 1:30 am #

It’s one of the most delicious looking autumn cakes I have ever seen. And an easy one from what I understood! I have never had or baked a cobbler, so it’s a good idea to experiment this year. I love the pears photo!
    PS I’m glad I’m not the only who lacks willpower when it comes to favourite cakes ;-(

43. cquek October 11, 2012 at 12:38 am #

Simple, tasty and soul satisfying

44. Nisa Homey October 10, 2012 at 11:50 pm #

I can imagine how this must have tasted….with all my favorites in one bowl…bookmarked!!

45. Quay Po Cooks October 10, 2012 at 10:01 pm #

I will lose my will power too if you offer me your delicious apple and pear cobbler. Who can resist it?

46. Vicki Bensinger October 10, 2012 at 9:38 pm #

I love apples, pears and cobblers so the two combined have to be a hit! I especially like that you added maple syrup to the recipe. I can only imagine how delicious this tastes. I’ll have to save this recipe to try. Thanks for sharing.

47. The Wimpy Vegetarian October 10, 2012 at 7:53 pm #

This looks absolutely perfect for fall. I love that you added my favorite spice cardamom and used maple syrup instead of processed sugar. But mostly I love that it’s just for 2 servings. Neither my husband nor I can resist something like this hanging around the kitchen :-)

48. Debra October 10, 2012 at 7:45 pm #

Great fall flavors here. And, thank you, thank you, thank you for posting a fab dessert recipe for two. I also love the substitution with the maple syrup and I LOVE anything with cardamom. Can’t wait to see what else you whip up in that wonderful new kitchen!

49. Asmita October 10, 2012 at 7:24 pm #

Your pear and apple cobbler looks delicious! Would love to have this warm with a dollop of vanilla ice cream.

50. Soni October 10, 2012 at 7:11 pm #

Oh this is my absolute favorite dessert too :) Love that you used pears and apples here! I’m going to make this version very soon :)

1. The Weekly Dish: 10/13/2012 | Pippis in the Kitchen Again - October 13, 2012