Kitchen Remodel – Before & After

Welcome to MJ’s new kitchen!

The old kitchen.

As you can see it’s quite different!  The new kitchen better fits the current style of our home, it’s more functional, has more storage, and doesn’t leave sawdust in the dishes when I open and close drawers.  The kitchen remodel just about completes the renovation of our 50′s ranch style home. We’ve been remodeling this house for 14 years now, a lot of which we’ve done ourselves.  We still have a few minor things to wrap up this year. After that we’ll sit back and enjoy!  Actually, we’re already enjoying it. :)

I can’t wait to start sharing recipes – new creations and old classics – from my new space.

Repurposed

Some of the lower cabinets and countertops were moved to the garage as storage cabinets. The upper cabinets fell apart during the tear out.

All the appliances, sink and faucet were given to one of the sub-contractors who is building a house.

Our oven was only two years old, so we kept that, saving us quite a bit.  Added a microwave/convection oven which I absolutely love!

The butcher block that was the island in the old kitchen is going into the sunroom for my photography table.  WooHoo!!!!

The stools go back into the new kitchen and I’ll eventually reupholster them.

To see how we cooked and what we ate without a kitchen, click here.

THANKS again my friends for all of your comments and support!  I’ll have a new recipe posted very SOON as well as a giveaway!

THANKS to Goodman Construction LLC and all the people it brought in to make this happen and for my beautiful backsplash, and to Cabinet Connection for working with us on cabinet selection and the beautiful craftsmanship on the custom units (open shelving and awesome pantry) and installation.

Tags:

78 Responses to “Kitchen Remodel – Before & After”

1. Ramona October 11, 2012 at 9:33 am #

MJ!!!! First of all thank you so much for resending me this post… I don’t know how I missed it. Second, Woooooow!!! If I didn’t like you so much, I would be green with envy. You both really did a beautiful job picking the counters, cabinets and updates. The new kitchen looks so light, airy and bright! I love it. I can’t wait to see more recipes come out of your new kitchen. I know you’ll love every minute you have in it. :)

2. Mary Hartley October 10, 2012 at 8:53 pm #

MJ, wow I have been checking daily to see your new kitchen and it is beautiful! Hello from Mark and Hi to Bobbie! Congrats and it must be all the sweeter for the wait. Love, Mary

• mj October 11, 2012 at 10:38 pm #

Mary – It’s wonderful seeing you here! What a surprise and a treat! Thanks so much for such nice comments! My love to both you and Mark!

3. Soni October 10, 2012 at 7:06 pm #

Oh MJ this looks absolutely gorgeous!!Love the color and the island!I’m sure you’re going to enjoy cooking in your new kitchen. :) Congratulations!!!

4. The Squishy Monster October 10, 2012 at 5:58 pm #

Ah! Needless to say, I’m green but congratulations on such a beautiful cooking space! What a Haven/Heaven!

5. Nancy/SpicieFoodie October 10, 2012 at 2:57 pm #

WOWZA! It looks straight out of a catalogue. I’m very happy for you and that gorgeous new kitchen. But also a little jealous as my tinny kitchen is the size of a small closet. Enjoy MJ!!

6. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) October 10, 2012 at 2:25 pm #

Sooooo jealous of the kitchen!!! It’s gorgeous and looks like a wonderful place to bake and cook allll day :P

7. Tina (PinayInTexas) October 10, 2012 at 1:18 pm #

Congratulations on your new kitchen, MJ! I love it. Everything looks fabulous…and I’m kinda jealous!

8. Zsuzsa October 10, 2012 at 11:18 am #

What a wonderful space!

9. Angie@Angie's Recipes October 10, 2012 at 11:00 am #

wow I want to live in your kitchen! It looks FANTASTIC!!!

10. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles October 10, 2012 at 10:24 am #

How did I miss this post?! (Canadian Thanksgiving maybe) – I’m so glad I decided to drop in…

Your kitchen looks absolutely smashing MJ! And I can understand the extensiveness of the project but goodness, talk about worthwhile. Gorgeous backsplash, lovely tone on the wood and those stainless steel appliances….wow!!! Love the before and after pics; you can really appreciate the transition.

Looking forward to all the recipes you create in your sparkling new surroundings! :).

• mj October 11, 2012 at 10:36 pm #

thanks Kelly! With the colors and the wood it’s a lot warmer and I think more welcoming.

11. wok with ray October 10, 2012 at 8:46 am #

Wow, wow, and wow!!!! Very inviting and warm my friend! I love the light color and the hood! Yes, nice big hood! I love the workflow configuration. Oh you guys did a wonderful job on you beautiful kitchen. I am very happy for you. So, more posts of delicious dishes? Okay, no pressure. I’m just saying… :)

• mj October 11, 2012 at 10:35 pm #

Thanks Ray! I’ll pass this on to Bobby. He really help me with the design. I knew what I wanted functionally, but design is not my thing. He saved me from making a huge mistake with the backsplash! I have been doing a lot of cooking but haven’t been taking pictures. Need to change that so I can have something to post. :)

12. LinsFood October 10, 2012 at 7:41 am #

It’s gorgeous, looks so much warmer with the new colours! I love all that storage space and it looks so divine, so much energy coming off it just from the pics!

13. Baker Street October 10, 2012 at 6:15 am #

Oh YAY! Congratulations MJ! I absolutely love your new space and I can’t wait for all the treats you’re going to prepare for us in there. :)

14. peachkins October 10, 2012 at 3:06 am #

WOW! I love your new kitchen!

15. Raymund October 9, 2012 at 11:29 pm #

At last, that kitchen is a beauty.

16. Sanjeeta kk October 9, 2012 at 11:07 pm #

And I thought these are pictures from some fine-dine restaurant…wow, simply amazing. Time for you to sit and relax now, MJ..for you have got yourself a treasure that every women aspire for..a gorgeous kitchen!
    And yes, we can’t wait to see what comes out from this lovely kitchen here. Love and hugs to you.

• mj October 11, 2012 at 10:32 pm #

You’re so sweet Sanjeeta! Thanks!

17. Joanna @ Chic & Gorgeous Treats October 9, 2012 at 7:07 pm #

Your kitchen looks stunning. Love the mosaic tiles back splash! I am in awe right now. I am definitely aiming to get a place of my own ;). Great motivation to me to work harder. Cheers, Jo

• mj October 11, 2012 at 10:32 pm #

Thanks Joanna! Give it time Darlin! It will come!

18. Sylvia@Peaches and Donuts October 9, 2012 at 3:20 pm #

Oh Wow! I love it MJ!!! I would just spend all my time in the kitchen if my kitchen was as beautiful as yours! :)

• mj October 11, 2012 at 10:31 pm #

Thanks Sylvia! I have been spending A LOT of time in there. During the day I take my laptop in and cook and work at the same time. It’s actually pretty funny. :)

19. Debra October 9, 2012 at 2:45 pm #

M.J.–
    It looks fabulous. I bet you are thrilled that it is done. Happy cooking!

20. Bill Harris October 9, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

Congratulations, MJ. It’s really beautiful. We went through a major remodel last year and a new kitchen makes all the difference. I look forward to seeing all the new posts coming out of the new space!

21. Treat and Trick October 9, 2012 at 11:21 am #

Wow what a fabulous kitchen! I love the bright back splash and styling of your kitchen cabinet. Can’t wait to see what you’ll share from your new kitchen..

22. Nami | Just One Cookbook October 9, 2012 at 10:57 am #

Whooo hooooo! I was waiting for this!!! Oh I LOOOOOVE your beautiful backsplash! I’m jealous of your big pantry and more cabinet space. I bet you enjoy staying in the kitchen even more… I would! When someone is having renovation, it seems so fast and I forget about all the dust and cleanup work… but I really don’t mind any of that if I can get this fabulous kitchen! Ahhh my 30 year old home needs upgrade!

• mj October 11, 2012 at 10:30 pm #

thanks Nami! All I can say is that it wasn’t fast enough. :) Moving out and then moving back in takes a lot longer than expected too. However, with that said, I’m having fun and it was well worth it!

23. Suzi October 9, 2012 at 9:04 am #

Oh my gosh MJ your kitchen is a beauty. I am so jealous. I love it. One of these days I will have a kitchen like that, I hope, LOL. Congrats, looking forward to new recipes. I bet you are just thrilled. Have a wonderful week, Enjoy!

• mj October 9, 2012 at 10:18 am #

Thanks Suzi! Just wait for it Darlin! It took a few decades but it was worth the wait. :)

24. Nads October 9, 2012 at 8:40 am #

WOW!! What a change! So light and bright and modern. It has a real up-lifting feeling. It’s really pretty. Amazing use of space. Love, love, love the pantry and how you turned that corner by the den into useful space. The colors work perfectly with your navy and yellow dishes – extremely complementary. And sooo much light. I love it. In the pics I can’t tell what you did in the area where the old pantry used to be. Do you have two ovens now? Can’t wait to sit at that huge island and drink tea and gossip. Congratulations Babe!

• mj October 9, 2012 at 10:17 am #

Thanks Nads! Well, you know who my designer is? Thank goodness I married someone with a good design sense. :) The old pantry is still there. Bobby fixed the door and painted over the pink. We’ll be using it for the overflow from our Costco runs instead of having that stuff spread all over the house. :) I only have the one oven, but the microwave is now a microwave/convection. I baked some enchiladas in the convection oven the other day so that was wonderful! It’s really a second oven, just a much smaller one. So cool! Can’t wait to sip tea with you!! Hope to see you soon!

25. April @ The 21st Century Housewife October 9, 2012 at 6:43 am #

Your new kitchen really does look beautiful, MJ. It looks so lovely and light filled. The cabinets are really wonderful and the backsplash is so pretty. You must be really pleased!

• mj October 9, 2012 at 10:12 am #

Thanks April! I love your new space as well!

26. Charles October 9, 2012 at 6:27 am #

Congratulations MJ – what a huge change, and what a lovely kitchen. Sigh… makes me so jealous! One day… one day I too shall have my own proper kitchen instead of the little galley-style thing I have now, with one plug socket! (I have to unplug the coffee machine to use a food processor… grr)

• mj October 9, 2012 at 10:11 am #

Thanks Charles! I said one day…one day for over 20 years, so just wait – it can happen! :)

27. Sissi October 9, 2012 at 2:46 am #

Congratulations, MJ! I think I would not only cook but sleep, organise parties, watch tv, read, drink… I would simply live 24 h a day in such a magnificent kitchen. (Of course as a European I look with a particular envy even at the fridge which is called “American fridge” here ;-) Your kitchen is so huuuuge! At least there I would have space for my neverending bowl collection, dozens of gadgets, tons of spices and other stuff… I imagine you will want to cook all the time. I have just seen it… is it the pantry??? Lucky you!!! Have fun with your beautiful kitchen.

• mj October 9, 2012 at 10:10 am #

Thanks Sissi! I definitely have been living in it since Saturday! I’ve been breaking in making all my fall dishes that I didn’t want to miss – fried green tomatoes, posole and enchiladas. :) I do remember you or maybe Charles talking about the European fridge a while back, so I understand your comment about the American fridge. :) And yes, the kitchen it huuuuuuge! Our last home had a tiny, one person kitchen so I’m really enjoying the space, especially the pantry space! Yes, that is a pantry! I actually have two!! Unfortunately, I have to work today so I’ll have to postpone play for later. :) Have a great day!

28. albertocook October 9, 2012 at 2:35 am #

I love american kitchen…. your kitchen is very beautifull

• mj October 9, 2012 at 10:04 am #

Thank you!

29. Reese@SeasonwithSpice October 8, 2012 at 9:59 pm #

The new kitchen looks super cozy, MJ! I can see the extended storage place. How nice! Just in time for you to do all the slow cooking and baking…I am excited for you.

• mj October 9, 2012 at 9:12 am #

Thanks Reese! The extended storage is marvelous! I now have 3 pantries. Talk about being spoiled. :)

• Reese@SeasonwithSpice October 18, 2012 at 8:31 am #

Three pantry?! That’d be my dream kitchen when we get a place of our own..

30. kitchenriffs October 8, 2012 at 9:42 pm #

It’s beautiful! Great colors, and everything looks so nice. Super layout – you’ll be able to cook up a storm! Plus you got a new photo table out of the deal? Sweet! Really very nice – congrats.

• mj October 9, 2012 at 9:11 am #

Thanks John! I’ve been working very hard to break it in! :) Can’t wait to get the photo table set up so I can take pics.

1. Pear Apple Cobbler Recipe - A Twist on an Old Favorite | MJ's Kitchen - November 9, 2012

[...] the kitchen remodel  this summer I’ve had a hard time keeping up with everything and everyone in the food blog [...]