Today, I’m going to talk a little about the tostada. Very simply, a tostada is a meal on top of a fried corn tortilla. That “meal” can be just about anything from beans (my favorite) to roasted veggies or ground beef to shrimp. This Breakfast Tostada is a meal with egg, sausage, cheese and vegetables. It is so delicious that it has a place of honor on “brunch” options right along side our favorite – Huevos Rancheros.
Egg, Sausage Tostada Recipe
Prep and Cook time: 20 minutes
4 corn tortillas*
1 cup canola or vegetable oil
1 tsp. oil
¼ cup onion, finely chopped
½ cup corn (frozen, fresh or canned)
1 Kielbasa sausage*, sliced, then quartered
¼ to ½ cup roasted, peeled and chopped green chile*
4 eggs, beaten
1 Tbsp. milk or cream
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp. cilantro or parsley, chopped
½ cup feta cheese*, crumbled
½ cup chopped tomato
- In a small skillet (a little wider than a corn tortilla), heat the canola oil over medium heat. Once hot enough, fry the tortillas, one at a time until crisp. Use tongs to hold the tortilla flat while frying, otherwise, it will curl up. Transfer to a paper bag or paper towels to drain any excess oil.
- In another skillet, heat a teaspoon of oil over medium low heat. Add the onion and corn. Cook, stirring until the onion is soft and corn is done, about 4 minutes.
- Add the green chile and kielbasa. Cook stirring for 1 minute.
- In a mixing bowl, gently beat the eggs with the milk, salt and pepper.
- Pour the eggs into the skillet. Using a heatproof spatula, cook the eggs, gently stirring in the ingredients and folding the eggs until done.
- Divide the egg and sausage mixture between the four tortillas. Top with cilantro, feta cheese and tomatoes.
*See Kitchen Notes
Tortillas – The corn tortillas can be baked instead of fried by placing them on a cookie sheet in a hot oven (375ºF) and baking until crispy, turning a couple of times to crisp both sides.
The sausage – Even though the recipe calls for Kielbasa you could use any smoked or spicy sausage such as Andouille or Spanish chorizo. If you use Mexican chorizo (which is fabulous!), add to the skillet with the onion and corn, and cook until done.
The chile – Use whatever you have that’s spicy. Here are some suggestions:
- roasted, peeled, chopped green chile (this is what I use of course 🙂
- chipotle adobo
- roasted poblano
- green chile sauce
- red chile sauce
- tomatillo salsa
- picante or pico de gallo (click here for recipes from Kitchen Riffs)
If you choose a sauce, use it as a topping once the egg mixture has been transferred to the tostada. If you add sauce to the eggs when cooking, the eggs will be runny.
The cheese – Use feta if you can! Otherwise, whatever you prefer.
Other ingredients – As with any tostada, avocado, lettuce or spinach, and bell pepper are always options as well as anything else you might have in the fridge that needs to be used.
If you like this egg sausage tostada, I bet you’ll love these as well!
Huevos Rancheros – Eggs served on top of corn tortillas with black beans and red chile sauce.
Migas (Eggs, Green Chile and Tortillas) – Scrambled eggs with green chile, cheese and strips of fried tortilla
This Egg Sausage Tostada recipe has been linked to the following blog hops. Be sure to click on the links for more fabulous recipes.
Weekend Potluck, Mix It Up Monday, Breakfast Ideas Monday, Made From Scratch Monday, Fat Tuesday, Frugal Follies, Foodie Friday, Gluten-Free Wednesdays, Whole Foods Wednesday, Gluten-Free Fridays, Full Plate Thursday
This recipe was featured on Breakfast Ideas Monday!