Breakfast Tostada

Tostada with scrambled eggs, green chile, and sausage. @MJsKitchen

When I was a kid my family went to El Chico’s on Wednesday night for the 99 cents special – a plate with an enchilada, tamale, beans and rice, and then all of the chips and salsa and warm corn tortillas one could eat.  A family of 7 ate for less than $10!!!!  Can you imagine?  Through this experience I grew up thinking that this Wednesday night special was real Mexican cuisine.

“Mexican food” at home was when my dad served one of his favorite foods – canned tamales!!!!  Believe it or not, I actually liked them, but then I had never tasted a real tamale. Now that I live in the southwest I know what real Mexican food is and, that there is a difference between Mexican, TexMex and New Mexican cuisine.  The locally made tamales are NOTHING like those canned tamales, and I now know that Mexican food is more than just cheese, refried beans and a tomato based red sauce – A LOT more!

Today, I’m going to talk a little about the tostada.  Very simply, a tostada is a meal on top of a fried corn tortilla. That “meal” can be just about anything from beans (my favorite) to roasted veggies or ground beef to shrimp.  In this kitchen, what goes into the “meal” usually depends on what I have in the fridge.  Since I cook a pot of beans almost every week, we do eat a lot of bean tostadas with a variety of toppings.  This Breakfast Tostada evolved one Sunday morning when I was emptying the fridge of all those little things that needed to be used.  The combination of the ingredients I had on hand resulted in a tostada that was quite different than any other I had ever made, and it was delicious!  This tostada now have a place of honor on our list of “brunch” options right along side Huevos Rancheros.

Tostada with scrambled eggs, green chile, and sausage. @MJsKitchen

The sausage – The first couple of times I made this I used Kielbasa because I had a couple of sausages leftover from making Curry and Comfort’s delicious Spicy Kielbasa, Tomato, and Chili Curry.  However, you could also use any smoked or spicy sausage such as Andouille or Spanish chorizo. If you use Mexican chorizo (which is fabulous!), add with the onion and corn, and cook until done.

The chile – Use whatever you have that’s spicy. Here are some suggestions:

If you choose a sauce, use it as a topping once the egg mixture has been transferred to the tostada.  If you add sauce to the eggs when cooking, the eggs will be runny.

The cheese – Use feta if you can!  Otherwise, whatever you prefer.

Other ingredients – As with any tostada, avocado, lettuce or spinach, and bell pepper are always options as well as anything else you might have in the fridge that needs to be used.

Enjoy!

If you like this recipe, I bet you’ll love this one as well!

Huevos Rancheros with New Mexico red chile sauce. #redchile #recipe @MJsKitchen

Huevos Rancheros – Eggs served on top of corn tortillas with black beans and red chile sauce.

This recipe has been linked to the following blog hops.  Be sure to click on the links for more fabulous recipes.

Weekend Potluck, Mix It Up Monday, Breakfast Ideas Monday, Made From Scratch Monday, Fat Tuesday, Frugal Follies, Foodie Friday, Gluten-Free Wednesdays, Whole Foods Wednesday, Gluten-Free Fridays, Full Plate Thursday

This recipe was featured on Breakfast Ideas Monday!

Tags: , , , ,

49 Responses to “Breakfast Tostada”

1. Miz Helen September 29, 2012 at 12:14 pm #

Hi MJ,
    I love the idea of the Breakfast Tostada and the combination of flavor is very interesting. I will sure give this a try. Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

2. Cindy (Vegetarian Mamma) September 12, 2012 at 11:39 am #

I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays recipe party! See you next Friday! Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

3. Holy food July 18, 2012 at 9:18 am #

Great article with excellent idea! I appreciate your post. Thanks so much and let keep on sharing your stuffs keep it up.

4. The Mistress of Spices July 17, 2012 at 4:34 am #

I love this! And I too remember El Chico’s ;-)

5. Jolene @ Yummy Inspirations June 17, 2012 at 6:39 pm #

You’ve been featured in this week’s Breakfast Ideas Monday – http://www.yummyinspirations.net/2012/06/healthy-breakfast-fry-up-breakfast.html. Thanks for sharing this yummy Breakfast – a perfect, nutritious start to the day!

6. Michelle June 15, 2012 at 7:41 pm #

This looks terrific! Would love to have this with andouille. Great way to use all those bits of this and that.

7. Diane Balch June 15, 2012 at 9:06 am #

Kielbasa and feta I think it could work well.. really interesting flavors in this dish. I hope you will be sharing it on foodie friday today.

8. Rogene June 13, 2012 at 11:32 am #

I’m always looking for good breakfast recipes. Will have to try this.

9. vianney June 9, 2012 at 3:11 pm #

I love making breakfast tostadas, my kids inhale them… gotta check out the green chile sauce, yum!

10. Magic of Spice June 8, 2012 at 11:56 am #

What a great breakfast idea! I have had breakfast burritos but never tostadas, will have to try this :)

11. Vicki Bensinger June 7, 2012 at 3:32 am #

What a great story. It’s amazing what a family of 4 these days cost just for lunch. In fact I would bet you couldn’t even eat for under $10 at McDonalds. As for the tamales in a can – back in the 70s that’s what we did. Of course now most people I believe try to eat fresh food instead of canned

You breakfast tostadas look wonderful and loaded with so many delicious ingredients. It would be a nice addition to any brunch or breakfast.

• mj June 7, 2012 at 8:13 am #

Thanks Vicki! I bet you also remember asparagus in a can as well! I really can’t think of anything I like less than canned asparagus! I still remember the first time I had fresh asparagus. It was a life changing experience! :)

12. Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen June 5, 2012 at 10:53 pm #

I would SO eat this for breakfast. I absolutely love tostadas and they are pretty much my favorite thing to order when we eat at a Mexican restaurant. Not the giant formed shell type, the flat, crispy type like this. Fantastic idea to make it with breakfast ingredients. Love it!

13. Treat and Trick June 5, 2012 at 10:42 pm #

So light and flavorful! I need to try this out soon.

14. Anne@FromMySweetHeart June 5, 2012 at 9:23 pm #

What a beautiful breakfast tortilla MJ! Lots of great stuff happening on that tortilla which has just the right curve to keep things on top! I was surprised …but delighted to see the feta. I love that tangy, crumbly cheese. And I am always amazed at your photography, MJ….especially how you always seem to capture the perfect light. Really lovely!

15. wok with ray June 5, 2012 at 6:54 pm #

I’m looking at the goodies that is on top of that tortilla. Wow, that is one delicious bite, MJ. I love how you took the photo with that nice outdoor background.

16. CJ at Food Stories June 5, 2012 at 5:32 pm #

Used to go to El Chico’s all the time … These look great :-)

17. Jen @ The Scrumptious Pumpkin June 5, 2012 at 11:22 am #

This looks so delicious – i’d eat this breakfast tostada for dinner :)

18. Nami | Just One Cookbook June 5, 2012 at 12:20 am #

What a good old days! $10 for a family meal! I wonder 99c is how much it would be right now… your breakfast tostada sounds very nice. I’d love that for my breakfast and really delicious that you added feta on top. I love good breakfast in the morning and this will keep me going (to keep up with my kids. =) ).

19. Sawsan (Chef in disguise) June 4, 2012 at 11:06 pm #

This is a true feast MJ, I love it!
    it sounds like a blast of flavors and a great way to start the day

20. Charles June 4, 2012 at 4:55 pm #

As Sissi mentioned above – the knowledge of many Europeans about Mexican food isn’t that good… rare is the person who’s tried a tamale. It’s a real shame because I absolutely love Mexican cuisine.

This looks like a delicious dish – a wonderfully different breakfast… love the vibrant colours too in the pic :)

• mj June 7, 2012 at 8:11 am #

Thanks Charles! I guess your exposure to Mexican food it like my exposure to real French food or German food. I know we have a couple of French restaurants in town, but I can’t think of a German one. I can’t imagine not having Mexican food! What would I eat?!?! :)

21. France @ Beyond The Peel June 4, 2012 at 2:39 pm #

What a fab idea Mj. I look forward to trying this out. This is right up our alley!

22. cajunville June 4, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

So fresh and clean looking! Our kind of breakfast or lunch for that matter.

23. Jessica @ Cajunlicious June 4, 2012 at 12:00 pm #

Such a great breakfast idea, it’s going on my list!

24. kitchenriffs June 4, 2012 at 10:14 am #

I remember those canned tamales! Not too bad, really, although nothing like the real thing. The sauce they were packed in had a peculiar tang. Not bad but not really good, either. Anyway, your Tostada is much better! Nice recipe that’s easy to adapt – my favorite kind! Truly nice – thanks.

• mj June 5, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

Thanks! I think it was the sauce that made them palatable! :) Out of curiosity I’d like to find some of those canned tamales just to check them out again and see how they were or weren’t. Well, maybe not. :)

25. Shannon@Cozy Home Scenes June 4, 2012 at 7:54 am #

Your sausage and egg tostada looks very good. I am always looking for new food to have for breakfast. I don’t seem to have much of an appetite so early but I know breakfast is an important meal. I had to smile when you mentioned eating canned tamales. I did the same thing when I was a child. They were one of my favorite things. You have a nice blog with many good recipes. If you join parties, please consider coming to YOUR COZY HOME PARTY each Mon. At 8 pm until Thurs. at 10 pm. Also, on June 17-23 I’m hosting a GRILL, BBB and PICNIC PARTY so come if you can to share your favorite recipes. Thanks so much for the nice visit to my blog.–
    Shannon

• mj June 7, 2012 at 8:05 am #

Shannon – Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I’ll definitely check out your parties! Look like fun!

26. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake June 4, 2012 at 6:44 am #

I’m in love with Mexican food right now, having this for breakfast sounds fantastic!

27. Baker Street June 3, 2012 at 11:10 pm #

Oh MJ! Now that’s totally what I want for breakfast! I think its a lovely idea. Its healthy and delicious! And who wouldn’t want mexican food for breakfast! :)

28. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles June 3, 2012 at 7:39 pm #

99 cents does sound hard to believe… for anything, much less wholesome Mexican food! Your breakfast tostada looks delightful MJ. As I’ve shared before, I’m a huge fan a Mexican cuisine and, like you, cook up at least one batch of beans a week (I also love eating beans for breakfast)… But this is a really fun and tasty twist with the sausage – and the cilantro/cream/chopped tomato mixture is ringing my bell ;-). De.lish!

29. Jane June 3, 2012 at 8:09 am #

This sounds so good, I’m wishing I had it for breakfast right now :) Growing up, I thought Chi-Chi’s was real Mexican food!! I had no idea what I was missing out on!!!! I am definitely making up for that now!

30. Raymund June 3, 2012 at 2:59 am #

I would love to have Mexican at braekfast, that looks good and definitely would spice up my day.

31. Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef June 2, 2012 at 6:02 pm #

Holy cow, this would make my weekend complete!

32. Quay Po Cooks June 2, 2012 at 3:24 pm #

mj, this looks like the perfect weekend brunch.

33. Tina@flourtrader June 2, 2012 at 7:03 am #

This does look like a great breakfast! Here in Texas we love everything southwestern and this one looks like it has all that great flavor. Breakfast burritos are so popular, it seems that the thought of making breakfast tostadas was overlooked! Very creative and delicious! Enjoy the weekend!

• mj June 2, 2012 at 11:14 am #

Thanks Tina! Breakfast burritos is a standard here as well but sometimes I find a burrito too heavy to start the day. These tostadas were a great alternative!

34. Liz June 2, 2012 at 6:22 am #

What an innovative brunch idea! I’d love to make these for company…yum!

35. Sanjeeta kk June 2, 2012 at 5:41 am #

I love tortillas with fresh veggies.. getting perfect corn flour is an issue here..wish I get ready to use tortillas at my place soon. Lovely recipe and a healthy breakfast.

36. Sissi June 1, 2012 at 3:42 pm #

My knowledge about the Mexican cuisine is very very poor. I have never had tostada, nor tamales, but I love the rare Mexican dishes I have tasted or made (chili con carne, guacamole, fajitas and enchiladas are the only Mexican or maybe Tex-Mex dishes I know). Your tostada looks gorgeous and so light! I start thinking I should try learning to cook Mexican too.

• mj June 7, 2012 at 8:09 am #

Sissi – You definitely should try making Mexican food at home. It’s relatively easy to make and tastes and ingredients that you can get addictive to! :) Thanks for the comments!

37. Cucina49 June 1, 2012 at 11:40 am #

These look delicious! I haven’t had a tostada in ages, and this would make a totally satisfying breakfast.

38. Reem | Simply Reem June 1, 2012 at 11:08 am #

Yum!!!
    Wonderful!! what a great idea, fast ad loaded with flavors..

Sorry for being MIA lately, I am back here and drooling over all goodness.

• mj June 2, 2012 at 11:13 am #

Welcome back Reem! It’s always could to hear from you! Hope you had a nice break and did something fun!

39. Suzi June 1, 2012 at 10:12 am #

This is such a great idea MJ. I am going to do this when I am going through the this weekend. Makes a whole meal or even just a snack. I like this. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

40. Ramona June 1, 2012 at 9:09 am #

99 cent special… heck yea!! I wish we could catch that deal these days. :) Actually you are right… true Mexican, Tex Mex and New Mexican cuisine must be totally different than the stuff we thought we were getting in cans and frozen entrees. :) Love the tostadas….. sounds like tomorrows breakfast to me. :) Have a great weekend! ~ Ramona

41. Angie@Angie's Recipes June 1, 2012 at 8:40 am #

That’s a super breakfast idea! Nutritious and delicious…my type of breakfast.

1. New Mexico Green Chile Stew | MJ's Kitchen - October 3, 2013

[…] Green Chile Succotash Green Chile Grilled Cheese Sandwich Corn and Mushroom Green Chile Tamales Breakfast Tostada Green Chile Tomatillo […]