Green Chile Tomatillo Salsa

Salsa made with Tomatillo and Green Chile #recipe @MJsKitchen

Just in case you are looking for a little different salsa or pico de gallo, here is a recipe for Tomatillo Salsa with New Mexico green chile.  The chile adds a different flavor than other chile peppers like jalapeno, and you still get the heat that you want in a salsa.  Of course, if you don’t have any green chile, you can always substitute with another type of chile.  See the Kitchen Notes for some substitutions.

Like any salsa, you can use this Green Chile Tomatillo Salsa in a variety of ways – tostados, tacos, eggs, sandwiches, or with chips – just to name a few.  It goes great with my Chile Relleno Egg Sandwich.  Experiment and enjoy!

Salsa made with Tomatillo and Green Chile #recipe @MJsKitchen

Tomatillos are more common in Mexican cuisine, but through the years they have found their way into New Mexican cuisine – which is not surprising given our location.  Tomatillos and green chile make a mean green chile sauce which is perfect for people who want the flavor of the green chile but with less heat.

Salsa made with Tomatillo and Green Chile #recipe @MJsKitchen

The tomatillos – The greener smaller tomatillos are the best if you can find them.  They are more tart which we like.  For this recipe, avoid the lighter, yellowish fruit if you can.  They are riper  which yields a “softer” salsa as opposed to a crispy salsa.  The riper ones work great in a sauce, but not in this salsa.

Tomatillos have a sticky, waxy film on the surface, so when you wash them, you might have to scrub a little harder than most fruit to remove the film.

I don’t roast the tomatillos because I love the tartness and texture of leaving them raw.  Because I use the chopped raw tomatillos, there isn’t much liquid in this salsa; therefore, this could easily pass as a pico de gallo.

The green chile – I use anywhere from 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup chile, depending on how hot I want it and how hot the chile is. You can always substitute 1 to 2 tablespoons of fresh, minced jalapeno or pickled jalapeno as well as poblanos or your personal favorite green pepper.

The toasted cumin and coriander – Toast about 1/2 tsp. of each type of seed in a skillet, grind them together, then add 1/4 tsp. of the mix.  Use the remaining seasoning in another dish during the week. OR you could do what I do and make a big batch by making this Cumin Coriander Spice Mix.

Some of you may be asking “what is the red?” Roasted New Mexico green chile usually has a few roasted red chiles mixed in because not all of the red chile gets pulled before roasting.  So we get a mix with a  lot of green and a little red.  I love a little red because it makes things pretty and adds a little sweetness to the salsa.

If you like this Green Chile Tomatillo Salsa, then you’ll also like these salsas and sauces.

Roasted Green Chile and Tomatillo make a delicious sauce that can be used for enchiladas, burritos, or whatever your heart desires #green #Hatch #chile #tomatillo| mjskitchen.com

Green Chile Tomatillo Sauce

New Mexico Red Chile Sauce

New Mexico Green Chile Sauce @MJsKitchen

New Mexico Green Chile Sauce

A tomato based salsa made with chile de arbol peppers

Chile de Arbol Salsa

This Green chile Tomatillo Salsa recipe has been linked up to the following blog hops.  Be sure to click on the links for more fabulous recipes.

Freaky Friday, Weekend Potluck, Foodie Friday, Mix It Up Monday, Mouthwatering Monday, Hearth and Soul, Full Plate Thursday, It’s a Piece of Cake, Made With Love Mondays, Whole Food Wednesday, Fat Tuesday, Bizzy’s Recipe Box, What’s Cooking Wednesday?, My Meatless Monday

This recipe was featured on Full Plate Thursday over at Miz Helen’s Country Cottage.

Miz Helen’s Country Cottage

Tags: , , , , ,

63 Responses to “Green Chile Tomatillo Salsa”

1. ChgoJohn August 10, 2016 at 12:23 pm #

I’ve chile de aqua and cayenne peppers ripening and this morning I bought some tomatillos. All I need now is a salsa recipe and, well, where else would I look? Thanks, MJ … I’ll be back. 🙂

• mj August 12, 2016 at 3:14 pm #

You made my day John!!! Hope you enjoy!

2. Mich - Piece of Cake July 11, 2012 at 3:40 am #

Hi, I am visiting via Recipe Box. This reminds me of the Chinese type of green chillis which goes with many types of Chinese dish. You have such beautiful photos!

• mj July 11, 2012 at 10:08 am #

Thanks Mich! So glad you stopped by! I would assume this salsa would work great in a Chinese dish. I might just have to try it.

3. Chaya July 10, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

I have always wondered what a tomatillo is but never bothered to look it up. I guess, I was waiting for you to do the work, for me and you did. Thanks for that photo.

• mj July 11, 2012 at 10:07 am #

So glad to be able to help out! I guess I’ll always be an educator. 🙂

4. Carole July 1, 2012 at 8:15 pm #

Looks great. I have never used tomatillos.

I found you via the Whole Food Wednesday linky party. I linked in a post about retro prawn cocktails
    Have a super week.

5. Yudith @ Blissfully Delicious June 18, 2012 at 6:39 pm #

Oh, this looks like a beautiful summer condiment. I would love them for my eggs topping at breakfast, or appetizer with warm tortilla… yum, the combo is endless!! 🙂

• mj July 11, 2012 at 10:09 am #

Thanks Yudith!! This is really good with eggs!

6. Miz Helen June 14, 2012 at 2:23 pm #

Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you have a great week end and enjoy your new Red Plate!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

7. vianney June 9, 2012 at 2:24 pm #

Tomatillos are one of my fav go to flavors!! I bet this would go great with eggs in the morning and a strong cup of coffee!! yummy!

8. Magic of Spice June 8, 2012 at 11:50 am #

This looks amazing…love spicy goodies like this!

9. Rachel - A Southern Fairytale June 6, 2012 at 8:11 am #

This sounds delicious! I love roasted green chilies and tomatillos. Thank you for linking this recipe up! I’m definitely bookmarking it 🙂

10. Swathi June 5, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

I make tomatillo stir fry, like your version of salsa, sure. I will try this recipe next time when I buy them.

Thanks for sharing with Hearth and Soul blog hop.

11. Diane Balch June 2, 2012 at 12:27 pm #

Fantastic I can think of so many uses for this salsa especially over the summer. Thanks for sharing it on foodie friday.

12. Gina June 1, 2012 at 5:41 pm #

What? No cooking it? I’m in! Can’t wait to try this!

13. Laura @ Laura Williams' Musings June 1, 2012 at 9:39 am #

Inviting you the Carnival of Home Preserving on my blog today and every Friday. Hope to see you there. Laura Williams’ Musings http://laurawilliamsmusings.blogspot.com

14. Carolyn Jung May 31, 2012 at 7:41 pm #

I’ve gotta cook more with tomatillos. I don’t use them nearly as often as I should. Love their bright, zingy flavor, too. Thanks for putting tomatillos front and center on my list. 😉

15. love2dine May 31, 2012 at 10:25 am #

Whoa–amazing!

16. Viviane Bauquet Farre May 31, 2012 at 7:10 am #

MJ, you never cease to inspire me. The lovely glowing green of this salsa is absolutely stunning. Beautiful presentation in the glass as well. I´ll be back soon – as usual!

17. Treat and Trick May 31, 2012 at 5:29 am #

I love the spices you’d used for making this fabulous salsa! Thanks for sharing MJ!

18. CJ at Food Stories May 30, 2012 at 4:26 pm #

This looks so zesty and different 🙂

19. mj May 29, 2012 at 6:50 pm #

As always – thanks for all the wonderful comments! I hope everyone had a great weekend and those in the U.S. a great LONG weekend!

20. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious May 29, 2012 at 3:50 pm #

I’m loving everything in this salsa! I can’t wait to make a whole jar of this so I can top it on my eggs in the morning!

21. Suzi May 29, 2012 at 2:53 pm #

Thanks for sharing this MJ, I have never quite known how to deal with the tomatillo, great photos and descriptions. I love a good salsa, looks delish.

22. Javelin Warrior May 29, 2012 at 12:35 pm #

MJ, I’m behind in my reading, but I love this salsa. I don’t know what it is about green salsas that has me captivated, but I really have been craving them recently. I’m also glad you included the details about selecting a tomatillos – I’ve never used them and this was very helpful information…

• Javelin Warrior June 19, 2012 at 8:23 am #

Thanks so much for sharing this with Made with Love Mondays, MJ!

23. spiceblogger May 29, 2012 at 8:23 am #

I’m a new tomatillo convert 🙂 I love them! And since I love all things fresh salsa, I’ll be making this for sure. Thanks for the recipe!

24. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles May 29, 2012 at 5:59 am #

First of all, love. love. love. the photos in this post MJ – simply gorgeous.

I’m thrilled to have this recipe. Mexican cuisine resides (permanently) in my top 3 and I often use a salsa verde but frequently buy a store bought version because I can’t seem to find the right heat for my family when I make it from jalapeno peppers. The tomatillo and green chile combination sound just right. Not to mention delicious. I can’t wait to try this. Thanks MJ!

25. Sanjeeta kk May 29, 2012 at 1:47 am #

I used to think these are just weeds when I was a child..we were asked to weed them out from our garden regularly. Now that I have seen many a recipes on net..I feel I wasted my Tomatillos. This recipe is a keeper!

26. tomato paste May 28, 2012 at 9:41 pm #

I like spicy food, is that spicy? but don’t put too much salt in it, good material for hamburg. you could log on my blog, it is also about food: tomato paste, that is also my favourite.

• mj May 29, 2012 at 6:49 pm #

Using the green chile that I use – it is definitely spicy! Great on burgers, sandwiches and lots of things! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

27. Anne@FromMySweetHeart May 28, 2012 at 9:19 pm #

Hi MJ! Wow…what a great recipe and my good fortune since I planted a couple of tomatillo plants this weekend! My boys are really now into salsas, chiles and hot sauces…so I’m always looking for variations! And your pictures are beautiful…I love how you captured the light in your lead photo! Hope you have a GREAT week ahead! : )

• mj May 29, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

Anne – I’m envious! I would love to grow tomatillos! Hope yours are prolific! Thanks for your nice comments as always!

28. Baker Street May 28, 2012 at 8:39 pm #

Wow MJ! Your chile recipes are just fantastic and so is this salsa! A nice spicy version. This would be really appreciated at my house. 🙂

29. kitchenriffs May 28, 2012 at 5:06 pm #

I love turning almost anything into salsa. Oddly enough, I rarely do this with tomatillos – weird, because they work so well. You’ve got some really great flavors working in this recipe – tasting it mentally, it seems like it’s wonderful. Good stuff – thanks.

30. shaheen May 28, 2012 at 12:52 pm #

I love this and would so love to make it from scratch, except we have difficulty finding tomatillos in my part of the U.K. I also tried to grow it once, in Scotland – unsuccessfully. Now that i have moved to Wales, U.K, I will try them next year.

31. ATasteOfMadness May 28, 2012 at 11:33 am #

I have never before heard of tomatillos, nor have I ever made salsa at home! I’ve got to find some, this looks delicious!

32. Jen at The Three Little Piglets May 28, 2012 at 11:18 am #

That makes me want Mexican food in the worst way! I think I may need to go and eat a little lunch now before I continue catching up on my blog reading… hope you’re having a fabulous holiday!

33. Sissi May 28, 2012 at 6:01 am #

MJ, you are so lucky to have tomatillos at a reasonable price I suppose. Here they are very rare and sold at a horrible price sometimes in “exotic food” department. The salsa recipe sounds excellent and I will certainly give it a try with what I can find here. I pickle peppers quite often, so I’d be tempted to increase vinegar and sugar content here and preserve it.

• mj May 29, 2012 at 6:47 pm #

Preserving them would make a tasty pickle! We do get them for a pretty reasonable price especially if I go to the Mexican market. They are really cheap there! Thanks for the comments!

34. Nami | Just One Cookbook May 28, 2012 at 4:12 am #

I’m sending this link to my husband who is going to REALLY appreciate this recipe! He always love spicy salsa and he’s been trying all different kinds. I think he’ll LOVE it. I can’t believe I’m allergic. =(

• mj May 29, 2012 at 6:44 pm #

Bummer! It would be very hard living here and being allergic to peppers! Hope your husband likes it!

35. Raymund May 28, 2012 at 1:40 am #

I would love to have them on my wraps, such a great type of salsa.

36. balvinder ( Neetu) May 27, 2012 at 7:47 pm #

Something spicy and sour always jazz up any plain meal. Ooh! And I love this version of tomatillo salsa with some green chile.
    Have a great week ahead!

37. Soni May 27, 2012 at 4:33 pm #

Oh this sounds delish!I’ve never used tomatillos and this is one recipe I’m surely going to try MJ!Will go nicely with burgers in this grilling season too 🙂

• mj May 29, 2012 at 6:43 pm #

Thanks Soni! Definitely great on burgers!

38. France @ Beyond The Peel May 27, 2012 at 2:13 pm #

This is hubbies favorite salsa and since meeting him, my favorite too. I’ve only made it once before, so I really need to get on it. Thanks for your recipe. I’ll grab some tomatillos on my next trip to the store.

39. Jane May 27, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

I love that this is raw as well! It seems that the texture would make it have a little crunch, which sounds great as a salsa! I think I need some of this in my life, it looks so good!

40. Nads May 27, 2012 at 8:02 am #

This sounds like another winner and future staple in my kitchen. You know how I love your green clili sauce, so I’ll probably love this too.

• mj May 29, 2012 at 6:42 pm #

I know your tastes and you would definitely love this! 🙂

41. cookingrookie May 27, 2012 at 1:47 am #

This salsa looks delish! I have never seen tomatillos in stores, but if I do, I will make this 🙂
    Have a wonderful weekend!

42. Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen May 26, 2012 at 9:44 pm #

I’m all over this. I love tomatillo salsa and the addition of the green chile has just got to be good!

43. Charles May 26, 2012 at 5:17 pm #

Oh my God – I’ve seen people talk about these but they’ve never posted a photo like you did… I just looked it up and yes – I had no idea you call them “tomatilloes”! We just call them physalis here – what a great use for them. I never would think to make salsa with them. I bet that’s a great flavour!

• mj May 29, 2012 at 6:42 pm #

Thanks Charlies! You’re the second person to mention physalis so now I need to find some! Apparently they are related so it would be interesting to compare the flavors.

44. Ramona May 26, 2012 at 4:10 pm #

This looks like a great twist on the traditional tomato and chili salsa. 🙂 The picture of the tomatillo is so striking!! Hope you are having a fabulous Memorial Day weekend! ~ Ramona

45. Rathai May 26, 2012 at 11:41 am #

The tomatilloes are beautiful and so is your salsa. I have heard of them but I think this is the first time I set my eyes on green tomatilloes… they kinda remind me of physalis. What beauties!

• mj May 29, 2012 at 6:40 pm #

Interesting! I had never heard of physalis so I looked it up and another name for it is Cape Gooseberry. In doing more research on tomatillo I found that the tomatillo was a nightshade related to the Cape Gooseberry! I love learning something new everyday! Thanks for the comments and for stopping by!

46. Giulietta | Alterkitchen May 26, 2012 at 11:38 am #

I love your chile recipes.. you’re my guru on chile 🙂

47. Tessa May 26, 2012 at 11:13 am #

Lovely photo of the tomatillos! I love tomatillo salsa and your recipe sounds delicious and simple to make. Have a great Memorial Day weekend!

48. Angie@Angie's Recipes May 26, 2012 at 11:07 am #

I want to spread some of this gorgeous salsa on my bread for the dinner! It looks absolutely appetizing!

1. Hearth and Soul Blog Hop # 104:6/12/12 - Zesty South Indian Kitchen - February 2, 2016

[…] carrot apple Salad from Easy Naturals Green chile tomatillo Salsa from Mjs Kitchen Oats and Gram flour Pancakes from Aromatic Cooking Jalapeno poppers stuffed Mushrooms from […]

2. Chile Relleno Egg Sandwich | MJ's Kitchen - September 14, 2013

[…] Touch – There are many creative finishing touches here.  I really like the tartness of Green Chile and Tomatillo Salsa, but a green chile sauce or even a red chile sauce make a great finish.  Just top each bite with […]