Things My Mama Taught Me

A Very Happy Mother’s Day to my wonderful mama who taught me many things:

In life

• A smile goes a long way.
  • The people next to you in line are nice people. Say “Hello”.
  • You can always deal with whatever life throws your way – so deal with it.
  • You’re never to old to learn how to play dominoes.
  • You’re the only one who needs to know that you’re in charge.

In the kitchen

• A week’s worth of leftovers makes a great soup or Sunday night casserole.
  • Never turn down an offer of fresh fruits and vegetables, but always go pick them yourself.
  • If you have more fruits or vegetables than you can eat right away, freeze them, can them, pickle them or share them.
  • Bread bags are great for storing fresh vegetables and cottage cheese containers are great for storing leftovers.
  • Green tomatoes are just as good as red tomatoes.
  • You can never have too many figs, too much rhubarb, or more pecans than you know what to do with.
  • Got catfish?  Fry it!
  • Always top biscuits and gravy with a scoop of homemade jam or jelly and grits with a tab of butter.

Thank you Mama!

Happy Mother’s Day to all the mothers out there!!

I hope today and every day is a special day!

Tags:

27 Responses to “Things My Mama Taught Me”

1. Anne@FromMySweetHeart May 17, 2012 at 10:43 am #

What a lovely tribute to your mom! Wonderful lessons in the kitchen and in life! Hope you had a great day! : )

2. Michelle May 17, 2012 at 8:56 am #

Great list!

3. Javelin Warrior May 15, 2012 at 8:45 am #

Love this post, MJ – very touching and many of the tips are reminiscent of tips from my mother and grandmother. I use cottage cheese containers to store leftovers all the time!

4. Soni May 15, 2012 at 5:58 am #

Aww so sweet of you to write this up!!I love the pic of you bith together as well :)Such good tips and tricks that Mom taught you and so practical!!Mom’s are the best 🙂

5. Sissi May 15, 2012 at 2:06 am #

Lovely post, MJ, and wonderful life lessons.

6. Reem | Simply Reem May 14, 2012 at 11:21 pm #

Beautiful!!!!
    You mom is so beautiful!! and the lesson she taught u are what we all need in life…

7. Biren @ Roti n Rice May 14, 2012 at 10:58 pm #

Beautiful picture of you and your mom! I hope you had a wonderful Mother’s Day.

8. mj May 14, 2012 at 9:59 pm #

Thanks for all of the wonderful comments about this post, my mother and me! It did my heart good to read every one of them. My mother doesn’t have a computer, nor would she know what to do with it if she did, so I’m printing out this post and your wonderful comments and sending them to her. It will really make her day! Thanks for making mine. Hope you all have a wonderful week.

9. wok with ray May 14, 2012 at 7:21 pm #

Oh my goodness, MJ. You both are very adorable ladies! I love those lessons both in life and in the kitchen. Now, I miss my mom. (sigh). I hope you ladies had a wonderful-wonderful mother’s day. 🙂

10. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles May 14, 2012 at 3:56 pm #

Why is it that every time I see a picture of a mother and daughter, I immediately start to well up… such a lovely shot and there is just so much warmth coming off the page MJ… what a beautiful post…your mom is full of wisdom.

I especially like the idea that we are all in it together and that we have the ability to deal…the word ‘grits’ always makes me smile… I don’t think I have ever heard it spoken in Canada… it gives me a cozy southern feeling…thank you for this wonderful, heart-warming post MJ!

11. Katherine Martinelli May 14, 2012 at 3:27 pm #

All great lessons!! Happy mother’s day – what a gorgeous picture!

12. Angie@Angie's Recipes May 14, 2012 at 12:02 pm #

What a beautiful and loving tribute to your mom!

13. kitchenriffs May 14, 2012 at 9:41 am #

Wonderful post! And everything you say is true. And such a nice picture. Thanks so much for this. Now, I’m on my way to the store to buy some dominoes . . .

14. Jen at The Three Little Piglets May 14, 2012 at 7:46 am #

I’d add to that list always lend a helping hand to those in need because you never know when you might need that hand to reach out and help you in return. Hope you had a lovely day!!

15. Judy@Savoring Today May 14, 2012 at 7:11 am #

Love this picture with your mom, she looks like a wise mamma who has passed on much to you. “You’re the only one who needs to know that you’re in charge.” — this made me laugh, so true, so true.

16. Vicki Bensinger May 14, 2012 at 5:56 am #

These are some great lessons your mom taught you. I hope you both had a very Happy Mothers Day!

17. Sawsan (Chef in disguise) May 14, 2012 at 2:11 am #

That is one of the sweetest mother’s day post I have read MJ
    Great lessons!
    Happy mother’s day

18. easyfoodsmith May 14, 2012 at 1:37 am #

Happy Mother’s Day! Thanks for sharing lovely thoughts from your Mom 🙂

19. Denise @ Creative Kitchen May 13, 2012 at 8:22 pm #

Happy Mother’s Day! What a beautiful tribute! 🙂

20. Tessa May 13, 2012 at 7:53 pm #

What a lovely post! Have a wonderful day!

21. feastonthecheap May 13, 2012 at 7:13 pm #

You have one wise Mama. Happy Mother’s Day to you both!

22. Rathai May 13, 2012 at 3:37 pm #

Happy Mother’s Day to you too, MJ! This post made me smile. 🙂 Such a lovely post and btw, you are really beautiful, MJ. Your smile is killing me and I’m not even a man. 😀 😉

23. Ramona May 13, 2012 at 1:23 pm #

Beautiful post my friend. We seemed to both have been blessed with remarkable women in our lives who taught us well. 🙂 Your apple did not fall far from the tree. 🙂 Hope you are having a wonderful day. ~ Ramona

24. CJ at Food Stories May 13, 2012 at 11:31 am #

Excellent post … Happy Mothers Day 🙂

25. Nisa Homey May 13, 2012 at 10:05 am #

Lovely post MJ…Hope u had a great day.

26. sally May 13, 2012 at 9:56 am #

Love these lessons! What a great post.

27. Joanne @ Fifteen Spatulas May 13, 2012 at 9:40 am #

This is so sweet! What a great post to share what your mom has taught you.