Green Chile Succotash

Southern succotash with New Mexico Green Chile

Growing up in the south we called anything with lima beans and corn “succotash”. Sometimes we would add squash or any other vegetable in the fridge that needed to be used.  So in following with that practice, here’s my succotash recipe with one of my favorite ingredients – green chile.

I usually make succotash during the holidays as a side for roast turkey, but the one I make for the holidays is less spicy and a little different than this one. This green chile succotash is perfect with grilled chicken or baked chicken, as a side with pork, or topped with a little bacon. Sometimes I’ll make it the entree’ for a vegetarian meal and serve it with buttermilk cornbread.  Oh SO good!  In fact, buttermilk cornbread is the perfect accompaniment to this no matter what else you serve.

Fresh or frozen – Most of the vegetables in this recipe are frozen. It is the first week of spring here and getting fresh limas or corn is impossible.  But that’s o.k.  If I’m going to use frozen vegetables, I don’t mind frozen lima beans or corn, or green chile for that matter.  However, I do put my foot down with frozen squash.  I can’t think of anything worse than mushy frozen squash. So in this recipe I used organic frozen lima beans and corn, as well as green chile.  Everything else was fresh.  If you use fresh limas or corn, you might have to adjust the cooking time. I would recommend extending the cooking time once the fresh limas after been added.

The green chile -   You could substitute the green chile with a fresh chopped poblano. It might be a little less spicy. If you don’t want spicy at all, then just omit the green chile.  This dish is just as tasty without it.

The cream – The cream can be heavy cream, whipping cream or half and half.  I like using heavy cream because it seems to coat the vegetables better. If you don’t want to use cream at all, then just leave it out or substitute with coconut, almond or soy milk.

It’s a very simple recipe and can be easily modified to your personal tastes. I hope you give it a try and enjoy it!

This green chile succotash has been linked up to the following blog hops.  Be sure to click on the links to see more delicious recipes.

Fusion Friday @ Jennifer Cooks, Weekend Potluck, Meatless Monday, Just Another Meatless Monday, Mangia Monday, Mouthwatering Monday, Tuesday’s Tasty Tidbits, Hearth and Soul, What’s Cooking Wednesday, Full Plate Thursday, Freaky Friday, Foodie Friday, Gallery of Favorites, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Around the Family Table, Frugal Food Thursday, Made With Love Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Bizzy’s Recipe Box, Keep It Real Thursday

Tags: , , , , , ,

75 Responses to “Green Chile Succotash”

1. Vicky April 17, 2012 at 10:08 am #

I love beans and this looks very tasty!

2. Laura @ Gluten Free Pantry April 15, 2012 at 10:42 pm #

What a flavorful recipe and perfect for Spring! Thank you so much for sharing your great recipe on Allergy-Free Wednesdays! Be sure to check back next week for recipe highlights (including the top 3 reader choice submissions and hostess favorites).

Be Well!

3. Magic of Spice April 14, 2012 at 5:59 pm #

A spicy succotash sounds wonderful :)

4. vianney April 3, 2012 at 7:12 pm #

roasted chiles in succotash, I’m there!! I love the pics, sweet!

5. Diane Balch March 30, 2012 at 1:18 pm #

Don’t you just like saying the word, “Succotash”? Yours looks delicious and so healthy too. I would love it if you would post it on my foodie friday linky today.

6. Miz Helen March 30, 2012 at 9:20 am #

Hi MJ,
    We just love Lima Beans and I can’t wait to try this recipe, it looks awesome! Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

7. The Quiet Mom March 29, 2012 at 1:44 pm #

Oh, my. What can I say? I’m gonna try this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Following your FB and twitter.

Also inviting you to join our meatless recipe blog hop/showcase at http://olahmomma.com/momlounge. You are also very welcome to add your lovely blog here: http://olahmomma.com/momlounge/node/add/blog-list

Hope to see ya there! Have a great day:)

The Quiet Mom

8. Justine March 29, 2012 at 12:55 pm #

Stopping by from the Hearth & Soul Tuesday Blog Hop! http://queenofsavings.com

9. April @ The 21st Century Housewife March 29, 2012 at 7:47 am #

This is such a gorgeous side dish, so colourful! Lima beans are hard to find in the UK, but I think I could make this lovely succotash with broad beans. I love the idea of serving it with the cornbread too – delicious!

10. easyfoodsmith March 29, 2012 at 6:44 am #

Lovely dish. Succotash is a new word in my dictionary! It sounds so delicious. I have never tried lima beans and this dish looks a great way to begin with.

11. Tes March 28, 2012 at 12:30 pm #

Oh wow what a colorful dish :) It looks so fresh and vibrant :)

12. Sanjeeta kk March 28, 2012 at 9:50 am #

Such unique recipe and what lovely title! Never seen lima beans in this make over..very healthy and yum…

13. Healthy cooking Blog March 27, 2012 at 8:29 pm #

I would use hot chile and lots of cilantro. Like it on the spicy side. what can I say. Very nice healthy dish.

14. Katherine Martinelli March 27, 2012 at 4:51 pm #

I don’t eat nearly enough lima beans! This looks phenomenal.

15. Rachel - A Southern Fairytale March 27, 2012 at 1:53 pm #

that looks delicious! I love succotash :-) YUM. This makes me wanna jump in the kitchen!

16. Swathi March 27, 2012 at 12:07 pm #

This sounds my kind of dish,love the legumes, chile there. Sure going to try. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop.

17. Michelle March 27, 2012 at 7:57 am #

Visiting from Tasty Tuesday. Great idea to add green chile to succotash. We love green chiles here!

18. Viviane Bauquet Farre March 27, 2012 at 7:40 am #

Ah, what a healthy arrangement of produce, MJ! The colors are wonderful and I’ll bet the flavors combine spectacularly. As always, it has been a pleasure dropping by to read what you’ve been concocting!

19. Heather @girlichef March 27, 2012 at 6:41 am #

Oh, I’m a big fan of succotash – but I think I’d be an even bigger fan if it had roasted chiles in it. this sounds AMAZING! Saving it to try….thanks :)

20. Nami | Just One Cookbook March 27, 2012 at 12:32 am #

I’ve been getting tremendous knowledge about South from you! So many things I haven never heard of or seen. Your succotash looks so healthy and delicious. You are always good at playing with colors in the food – beautiful dish, MJ!

• mj March 28, 2012 at 2:58 am #

Thanks Nami! A long time ago I read, the more colors you have in a meal, the healthier the meal. Makes sense to me..

21. mj March 26, 2012 at 8:52 pm #

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments about the dish and the photography! It’s a great dish no matter what you call it, so I hope you try it.

22. Javelin Warrior March 26, 2012 at 4:08 pm #

I’m really behind in my blog reading, but I had to leave a comment because you’ve managed to transform lima beans (which I detest) into something I feel I could probably eat. And enjoy. And that’s no small culinary feat!

• mj March 26, 2012 at 8:49 pm #

To be perfectly honest – this is the only way I’ll eat lima beans and I love them in this dish! I think you would too!

• Javelin Warrior July 31, 2012 at 9:59 am #

Thank you so much for sharing this with Made with Love Mondays, MJ! Another recipe I’m sure so many others will enjoy!

23. Reeni March 26, 2012 at 4:00 pm #

My Dad would go crazy for your succotash! He is the lima bean lover in our family and practically has to beg us to make them. I might even be converted with this!

24. Tina@flourtrader March 26, 2012 at 12:55 pm #

Nice to pop in find this delicious reminder of home. This is actually one that disappeared in my diet once I forged out on my own! I will need to change that. Your pictures are enticing. Have a great day!

25. Tina (PinayInTexas) March 26, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

This is the first time I heard the word succotash…but being a lover of corn and lima beans, I’m pretty sure, I will enjoy it!
    Wishing you a great week, MJ!

1. 25 Recipes to Spice Up The Holidays | MJ's Kitchen - December 17, 2013

[…] Green Chile Succotash  […]

2. Chile Pequin Pepper Sauce | MJ's Kitchen - October 7, 2013

[…] It’s the first of October and it’s getting chilly here, so this year’s green chile crop is just about over. I roasted my last batch yesterday. Any chile peppers still on the plants are turning red and even they are almost gone.  However, the smaller chiles, like chile pequin (above), jalapeno, and chile de arbol, are still quite plentiful which is a good thing because I recently discovered that I’m totally out of pepper sauce.  Everybody’s gotta have a pepper sauce to finish off dishes like black-eyed peas, pinto beans, greens, stews, and succotash. […]

3. New Mexico Green Chile Stew | MJ's Kitchen - February 5, 2013

[...] Green? New Mexico Green Sauce Calabacitas Enchiladas Easy Green Chile Stew Grits and Green Chile Green Chile Succotash Green Chile Grilled Cheese Sandwich Corn and Mushroom Green Chile Tamales Breakfast Tostada Green [...]

4. Green Chile Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe | MJ's Kitchen - November 23, 2012

[...] Green Chile Succotash [...]