Green Chile Succotash

Southern succotash with New Mexico Green Chile

Growing up in the south we called anything with lima beans and corn “succotash”. Sometimes we would add squash or any other vegetable in the fridge that needed to be used.  So in following with that practice, here’s my succotash recipe with one of my favorite ingredients – green chile.

I usually make succotash during the holidays as a side for roast turkey, but the one I make for the holidays is less spicy and a little different than this one. This green chile succotash is perfect with grilled chicken or baked chicken, as a side with pork, or topped with a little bacon. Sometimes I’ll make it the entree’ for a vegetarian meal and serve it with buttermilk cornbread.  Oh SO good!  In fact, buttermilk cornbread is the perfect accompaniment to this no matter what else you serve.

Green Chile Succotash #recipe @MJsKitchen

Green Chile Succotash #recipe @MJsKitchen

Fresh or frozen – Most of the vegetables in this recipe are frozen. It is the first week of spring here and getting fresh limas or corn is impossible.  But that’s o.k.  If I’m going to use frozen vegetables, I don’t mind frozen lima beans or corn, or green chile for that matter.  However, I do put my foot down with frozen squash.  I can’t think of anything worse than mushy frozen squash. So in this recipe I used organic frozen lima beans and corn, as well as green chile.  Everything else was fresh.  If you use fresh limas or corn, you might have to adjust the cooking time. I would recommend extending the cooking time once the fresh limas after been added.

The green chile -   You could substitute the green chile with a fresh chopped poblano. It might be a little less spicy. If you don’t want spicy at all, then just omit the green chile.  This dish is just as tasty without it.

The cream – The cream can be heavy cream, whipping cream or half and half.  I like using heavy cream because it seems to coat the vegetables better. If you don’t want to use cream at all, then just leave it out or substitute with coconut, almond or soy milk.

It’s a very simple recipe and can be easily modified to your personal tastes. I hope you give it a try and enjoy it!

This green chile succotash has been linked up to the following blog hops.  Be sure to click on the links to see more delicious recipes.

Fusion Friday @ Jennifer Cooks, Weekend Potluck, Meatless Monday, Just Another Meatless Monday, Mangia Monday, Mouthwatering Monday, Tuesday’s Tasty Tidbits, Hearth and Soul, What’s Cooking Wednesday, Full Plate Thursday, Freaky Friday, Foodie Friday, Gallery of Favorites, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Around the Family Table, Frugal Food Thursday, Made With Love Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Bizzy’s Recipe Box, Keep It Real Thursday

Tags: , , , , , ,

75 Responses to “Green Chile Succotash”

1. Vicky April 17, 2012 at 10:08 am #

I love beans and this looks very tasty!

2. Laura @ Gluten Free Pantry April 15, 2012 at 10:42 pm #

What a flavorful recipe and perfect for Spring! Thank you so much for sharing your great recipe on Allergy-Free Wednesdays! Be sure to check back next week for recipe highlights (including the top 3 reader choice submissions and hostess favorites).

Be Well!

3. Magic of Spice April 14, 2012 at 5:59 pm #

A spicy succotash sounds wonderful :)

4. vianney April 3, 2012 at 7:12 pm #

roasted chiles in succotash, I’m there!! I love the pics, sweet!

5. Diane Balch March 30, 2012 at 1:18 pm #

Don’t you just like saying the word, “Succotash”? Yours looks delicious and so healthy too. I would love it if you would post it on my foodie friday linky today.

6. Miz Helen March 30, 2012 at 9:20 am #

Hi MJ,
    We just love Lima Beans and I can’t wait to try this recipe, it looks awesome! Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

7. The Quiet Mom March 29, 2012 at 1:44 pm #

Oh, my. What can I say? I’m gonna try this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Following your FB and twitter.

Also inviting you to join our meatless recipe blog hop/showcase at http://olahmomma.com/momlounge. You are also very welcome to add your lovely blog here: http://olahmomma.com/momlounge/node/add/blog-list

Hope to see ya there! Have a great day:)

The Quiet Mom

8. Justine March 29, 2012 at 12:55 pm #

Stopping by from the Hearth & Soul Tuesday Blog Hop! http://queenofsavings.com

9. April @ The 21st Century Housewife March 29, 2012 at 7:47 am #

This is such a gorgeous side dish, so colourful! Lima beans are hard to find in the UK, but I think I could make this lovely succotash with broad beans. I love the idea of serving it with the cornbread too – delicious!

10. easyfoodsmith March 29, 2012 at 6:44 am #

Lovely dish. Succotash is a new word in my dictionary! It sounds so delicious. I have never tried lima beans and this dish looks a great way to begin with.

11. Tes March 28, 2012 at 12:30 pm #

Oh wow what a colorful dish :) It looks so fresh and vibrant :)

12. Sanjeeta kk March 28, 2012 at 9:50 am #

Such unique recipe and what lovely title! Never seen lima beans in this make over..very healthy and yum…

13. Healthy cooking Blog March 27, 2012 at 8:29 pm #

I would use hot chile and lots of cilantro. Like it on the spicy side. what can I say. Very nice healthy dish.

14. Katherine Martinelli March 27, 2012 at 4:51 pm #

I don’t eat nearly enough lima beans! This looks phenomenal.

15. Rachel - A Southern Fairytale March 27, 2012 at 1:53 pm #

that looks delicious! I love succotash :-) YUM. This makes me wanna jump in the kitchen!

16. Swathi March 27, 2012 at 12:07 pm #

This sounds my kind of dish,love the legumes, chile there. Sure going to try. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop.

17. Michelle March 27, 2012 at 7:57 am #

Visiting from Tasty Tuesday. Great idea to add green chile to succotash. We love green chiles here!

18. Viviane Bauquet Farre March 27, 2012 at 7:40 am #

Ah, what a healthy arrangement of produce, MJ! The colors are wonderful and I’ll bet the flavors combine spectacularly. As always, it has been a pleasure dropping by to read what you’ve been concocting!

19. Heather @girlichef March 27, 2012 at 6:41 am #

Oh, I’m a big fan of succotash – but I think I’d be an even bigger fan if it had roasted chiles in it. this sounds AMAZING! Saving it to try….thanks :)

20. Nami | Just One Cookbook March 27, 2012 at 12:32 am #

I’ve been getting tremendous knowledge about South from you! So many things I haven never heard of or seen. Your succotash looks so healthy and delicious. You are always good at playing with colors in the food – beautiful dish, MJ!

• mj March 28, 2012 at 2:58 am #

Thanks Nami! A long time ago I read, the more colors you have in a meal, the healthier the meal. Makes sense to me..

21. mj March 26, 2012 at 8:52 pm #

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments about the dish and the photography! It’s a great dish no matter what you call it, so I hope you try it.

22. Javelin Warrior March 26, 2012 at 4:08 pm #

I’m really behind in my blog reading, but I had to leave a comment because you’ve managed to transform lima beans (which I detest) into something I feel I could probably eat. And enjoy. And that’s no small culinary feat!

• mj March 26, 2012 at 8:49 pm #

To be perfectly honest – this is the only way I’ll eat lima beans and I love them in this dish! I think you would too!

• Javelin Warrior July 31, 2012 at 9:59 am #

Thank you so much for sharing this with Made with Love Mondays, MJ! Another recipe I’m sure so many others will enjoy!

23. Reeni March 26, 2012 at 4:00 pm #

My Dad would go crazy for your succotash! He is the lima bean lover in our family and practically has to beg us to make them. I might even be converted with this!

24. Tina@flourtrader March 26, 2012 at 12:55 pm #

Nice to pop in find this delicious reminder of home. This is actually one that disappeared in my diet once I forged out on my own! I will need to change that. Your pictures are enticing. Have a great day!

25. Tina (PinayInTexas) March 26, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

This is the first time I heard the word succotash…but being a lover of corn and lima beans, I’m pretty sure, I will enjoy it!
    Wishing you a great week, MJ!

26. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles March 26, 2012 at 11:45 am #

I love the use of beans in your recipes MJ. Like you, I tend to cook up a batch or two on the weekend so that we have some on hand in the fridge for various recipes throughout the week. I appreciate new ideas and inspiration on how to incorporate them in the diet and the more I do so, the less apt my husband is to laugh at my bean meals (yup, we’re very mature in this family…:)). The roasted green chile sounds divine… must try that.

27. Jessica @ Cajunlicious March 26, 2012 at 10:50 am #

Mj, this looks like a delicious dish of comfort!

28. Angie@Angie's Recipes March 26, 2012 at 10:28 am #

Flavourful and tasty…exactly the dish I would love too!

29. Baker Street March 26, 2012 at 9:56 am #

the first picture is just gorgeous and I completely agree with you regarding fresh squash. this recipe is a keeper. I hope to try it soon.

30. Chaya March 26, 2012 at 9:37 am #

I remember succotash from my childhood. It is one of those dishes that has gone by the side and I am wondering why. My daughter mentioned to me, the other day, she likes lima beans. This sounds like a good time to copy your recipe and make her happy.

31. kitchenriffs March 26, 2012 at 9:06 am #

Oh! I haven’t made or eaten Succotash for ages! why not? I love the stuff. And as you point out, some of the veggies freeze perfectly well, so there’s no excuse. Love the inclusion of green chile – spicy always speaks to me. And good picture up top – great way to show all the interesting ingredients up close and personal! Anyway, thanks for this.

32. Judy@Savoring Today March 26, 2012 at 6:21 am #

I agree about frozen squash, the texture is too delicate to freeze well, fresh is the only way to go. I like your photo with the ladle, really nice!

33. Kankana March 26, 2012 at 12:26 am #

healthy and looks delicious. The first photo is gorgeous!!! :)

34. balvinder ( Neetu) March 25, 2012 at 9:37 pm #

I buy all sorts of beans and just few days ago I bought a can of Lima beans. I was thinking to use it in salad. I liked your spicy succotash and will use my can trying this. I guess I would add the canned beans almost at the end.

35. Justine March 25, 2012 at 8:57 pm #

Stopping by from the JenniferCooks.com Fusion Friday Link Party!

36. sally March 25, 2012 at 2:14 pm #

Yep, this dish would be perfect with a little cornbread or a biscuit. Now that I’m living in the south, I’ll have to give it a try. :)

37. Rathai March 25, 2012 at 12:49 pm #

You know what I love about your blog? It’s all these inspiring, original and healthy recipes you post. I always love the stories and the two snippets connecting back to your childhood and past. I have learnt so many new ingredients through your blog and this dish looks so colourful and flavourful.

• mj March 26, 2012 at 8:45 pm #

Rathai – what very, very nice comments! I’m flattered! Thanks Darlin! It means a lot to me! You’re a real sweetheart!

38. Sissi March 25, 2012 at 11:20 am #

Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. I have never heard of succotash and I’m always very happy to learn more about the Southern cuisine I haven’t tried cooking yet.

39. Cajunville March 25, 2012 at 9:44 am #

We enjoy succotosh and this one is ripe for trying. I have added lots of different items to my succotosh yet never green chilies. It is on the list.

40. Elsa March 25, 2012 at 5:38 am #

I’ve never made succotosh but I’ve been wanting to for a while. I love your addition of green chiles. I will be trying this soon. :)

41. Deeps @ Naughty Curry March 25, 2012 at 3:24 am #

that first pic is amazing! cant wait to try this colourful dish

42. Reiko March 24, 2012 at 11:27 pm #

“succotash”! I’ve never heard of it! It’s always fun to learn new things about food. I love the idea of combining lima beans and corn!

43. Cucina49 March 24, 2012 at 9:13 pm #

I’m not sure I’ve ever made succotash, oddly enough–but I love the colors and flavors in this. It looks wonderful!

44. Charles March 24, 2012 at 7:27 pm #

This looks like a beautiful, colourful dish – and really jammed full of good stuff too. Love the lima beans – are they the same as broad beans? I’d never actually heard of “succotash” before – “a dish of corn and lima beans cooked together” – heh…. I wonder where the name comes from!?

• mj March 26, 2012 at 8:43 pm #

You sparked my interest with your question. Apparently, succotash means “boiled corn kernels” and comes from “Narragansett, an extinct Algonquian language formerly spoken in most of what is today Rhode Island by the Narragansett people.” (Wiki) Apparently, it was a dish that came out of the Great Depression and originated in New England. It was later adapted in the south. Interesting info! Thanks for the question and wonderful comments!

45. Soni March 24, 2012 at 5:05 pm #

Oooh love your first and second click!The “succotash” looks delicious and spicy.I love the heat from the green chillies in there :)I’ve mostly used lima beans in soups and this looks like a perfect recipe for me to try!!Love your southern style recipes, most of which I have yet to try!Thanks for sharing and enjoy your weekend MJ :)

46. France @ Beyond The Peel March 24, 2012 at 3:02 pm #

HI MJ, This looks delicious but I have a secret. I hate lima beans. It’s the one food I don’t like. What do you suggests as a replacement?

• mj March 24, 2012 at 3:50 pm #

Totally understand! I hate beets and I’ve seen some great beet recipes lately, but just can’t bring myself to try them. :) You could always replace the limas with fresh summer squash and then you would have a traditional New Mexican dish called calabacitas which is very close to this dish – squash in place of limas, and no cream.

47. Food Jaunts March 24, 2012 at 3:00 pm #

I love succotash but never tried a version with green chile. How do you make your spicy version, what do you sub in?

• mj March 24, 2012 at 3:46 pm #

Actually, the New Mexico green chile I get is spicy HOT. I’m not sure if you can get NM green chile, but if you can either buy the medium or hot. Mild is just that – lots of flavor, but no heat. If you can’t get chile, then chop up a fresh jalapeno or two. Hope you get a chance to make it. It’s good stuff!

48. Liz March 24, 2012 at 11:34 am #

Oh, this looks delicious, MJ! I have a feeling I’d find a pile of lima beans on my hubby’s plate…LOL…I find a lot of piles :)

49. Nads March 24, 2012 at 8:50 am #

Spicing up a traditional favorite sounds right down my alley. I will go with the poblano rather than the green chili for the flavor instead of heat. (Love them poblanos!) I would not have thought of cream, unless it was to settle down some of the heat from the chilies. Makes sense. In my crystal ball I see this along side a nice fat pork chop very soon. Oh, and worse than mushy squash, mushy thawed string beans.

• mj March 24, 2012 at 9:42 am #

Amen on the frozen green beans! I’ve made this several times with poblanos and it’s just as good, but less spicy. The cream actually acts more as a binder to pull all of the vegetables together and then adds a “little” creamy flavor. Because I use so little of it, the heavy cream is my favorite and at 1/4 cup, I don’t feel guilty. :) Glad to see you got Internet!

50. Suzi March 24, 2012 at 8:48 am #

Hi MJ, just got back from my short little hiatus. I see you made the lima bean recipe you were telling me about and it is a keeper. Definitely going for the chile addition sounds wonderful. Have great weekend.

• mj March 24, 2012 at 9:39 am #

Suzi – I’ve been meaning to make this ever since our conversation! Thanks for inspiring me to do so. I usually only make it around the holidays, but it sure was good on the first day of spring! :)

51. wok with ray March 23, 2012 at 11:56 pm #

I love the corn and lima beans combination on this. That is a delicious and hearty meal by itself. Have a very nice weekend, MJ! :)

52. Christine March 23, 2012 at 11:30 pm #

Interesting recipe. Sounds and looks good to me.

53. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious March 23, 2012 at 9:55 pm #

When I first saw the title of your post I kind of freaked and thought, “Succotash?! Oh no I’ve never heard of that! I’m such a bad foodie!” But now that I know what it is, I think I’ve had some sort of variation of it. Whew!

I love your addition of the green chiles in this – it’s one of my favorite ingredients to work with!

54. Anne@FromMySweetHeart March 23, 2012 at 9:35 pm #

MJ…first of all….I have to say….your photography just always blows me away! It is soooo good! This recipe looks awesome. Funny that this is a southern dish. I remember eating a lima bean/corn succotash growing up in New England…..and I always loved it! Your succotash looks too beautiful to be a side dish. I would definitely make it the star of the show. (And I’ll take you up on the idea of serving it with buttermilk cornbread!) This looks just fabulous! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! : )

• mj March 24, 2012 at 9:37 am #

Thanks for the nice comments! Sounds like succotash might be a universal U.S. dish. I just know it was big in the south or in my home at least. :) The cornbread is a must – Enjoy!

55. Treat and Trick March 23, 2012 at 7:42 pm #

Gorgeous photos! This sounds new to me, it looks so tasty and your guide,is really helpful!

56. Dee at Deelicious Sweets March 23, 2012 at 2:17 pm #

What a great recipe! I have never had succotash but I have some lima beans in the freezer that need used. I think the idea of this and buttermilk corn bread sounds awesome!

57. Ramona March 23, 2012 at 11:50 am #

MJ… it looks so colorful… like confetti! My husband adores lima beans so I will make this for him soon. :) You know I love the chili and the heat. :) Have a great weekend! ~ Ramona

58. Italian Notes March 23, 2012 at 11:02 am #

What a great idea to combine fave and corn. I can imagine they suit each other.

59. Giulietta | Alterkitchen March 23, 2012 at 10:29 am #

I didn’t know succotash, but it seems super-tasty to me!

60. Eri March 23, 2012 at 9:31 am #

How interesting this recipe is! Your pictures are amazing!
    Thank you for visiting my blog, it’s good to be here!

1. 25 Recipes to Spice Up The Holidays | MJ's Kitchen - December 17, 2013

[…] Green Chile Succotash  […]

2. Chile Pequin Pepper Sauce | MJ's Kitchen - October 7, 2013

[…] It’s the first of October and it’s getting chilly here, so this year’s green chile crop is just about over. I roasted my last batch yesterday. Any chile peppers still on the plants are turning red and even they are almost gone.  However, the smaller chiles, like chile pequin (above), jalapeno, and chile de arbol, are still quite plentiful which is a good thing because I recently discovered that I’m totally out of pepper sauce.  Everybody’s gotta have a pepper sauce to finish off dishes like black-eyed peas, pinto beans, greens, stews, and succotash. […]

3. New Mexico Green Chile Stew | MJ's Kitchen - February 5, 2013

[...] Green? New Mexico Green Sauce Calabacitas Enchiladas Easy Green Chile Stew Grits and Green Chile Green Chile Succotash Green Chile Grilled Cheese Sandwich Corn and Mushroom Green Chile Tamales Breakfast Tostada Green [...]

4. Green Chile Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe | MJ's Kitchen - November 23, 2012

[...] Green Chile Succotash [...]