Pumpkin and Chestnut Soup

A bowl of pureed pumpkin and roasted chestnuts

Several things inspired me to make this soup:

• A cute little pumpkin sitting on the windowsill looking for a purpose other than just being cute
  • The local co-op having fresh Chestnuts for half price
  • It’s fall and the weather has turned chilly, so it’s soup time!
  • New plates that friends gave me for my birthday that were perfect for pumpkin soup!

With all that inspiration, how could I not make it?!

I divided the chores for this soup into two parts.  On the weekend I roasted the pumpkin and chestnuts. On Tuesday I made the soup which made for a very quick dish on Tuesday.

To get the 1/2 cup of nut meat, I bought 3/4 of a pound of fresh chestnuts. If you can’t find fresh chestnuts, you might be able to find them at a specialty store or order on-line.

To be honest, these were the first chestnuts I had ever tasted! I loved the flavor of the chestnut but wasn’t too crazy about its texture, that’s why I decided to put them in this soup.  The flavor of the chestnut added a slight nuttiness to the pumpkin. We liked, but next time, I plan to increase the amount of chestnuts to 3/4 to 1 cup.

Vegan – The soup itself is vegan, but the topping is not.  To keep it vegan, you could either just eliminate the cream based topping and top with crushed herbs such as sage or dill weed, or top with minced roasted chestnuts.  Or you could use soy, almond or coconut based yogurt and cream.

Red Chile Pepper Crackers

Homemade Crackers with Red chile powder

A few days before making this soup I found a Rosemary Croccantini Flatbread Cracker recipe over at Fifteen Spatulas.  I had been wanting to make these crackers and this soup offered the perfect opportunity.   The soup needed something crispy, but then it also screamed “spicy”.  So I made these wonderful crackers, replacing the rosemary with 1/2 tsp. red chile powder (medium). Before putting them in the oven, I sprinkled the dough with garlic powder instead of salt and pepper.  They were excellent and a great complement to this soup.

This Pumpkin and Chestnut Soup recipe has also been entered in the following blog hops.

Pumpkin Hop over at Deelicious Sweets

Squash Blog Hop at Bakerstreet.

Meatless Monday, Full Plate Thursday, Hearth and Soul Blog Hop, Taste This Thursday, Sunday Night Soup Night, Showcase Your Talent Thursday, Foodie Friends Friday, Must Try Mondays , Keep It Real Thursday, Clever Chicks, Whole Foods Wednesday, Foodtastic Friday, Made With Love Mondays

Food Frenzy’s November challenge of Chestnuts (This recipe won!)
Photobucket

The soup recipe was feature by My Favorite Finds’ Must Try Monday.

The chile pepper crackers have been linked up to the Bake with Bizzy Blog Hop.

This soup was featured on Beyond the Peel’s Keep it Real Thursday Blog Hop.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

66 Responses to “Pumpkin and Chestnut Soup”

1. JT November 17, 2011 at 9:38 pm #

Hi Aunt MJ :)

Wow, this page is amazing. I’ve been hearing about it from Mom and now can finally see for myself. As someone who will be living on my own soon, I’m going to “favorite” this site, and use it as reference often. Everything looks delicious, makes me think of when I was visiting and we had such scrumptious home cooked meals, yum. Anyway, LOVE YOU, talk soon.

• mj November 18, 2011 at 6:21 pm #

Thanks so much JT! I hope you do visit often for ideas. It’s time to learn how to cook! :) Please just call or send an email if you have a question or want a specific dish. I know you’re getting a bunch of great recipes from your mom. Love you Darlin!

2. Kristy November 17, 2011 at 8:22 pm #

Oh my goodness! Look at that beautiful soup! We have soup night once a week around here and I know this will be gracing our table soon! I love the addition of chestnuts to a pumpkin soup. Perfect!

3. Reem | Simply Reem November 17, 2011 at 7:34 pm #

This looks really beautiful bowl of deliciousness!!!!
    Love the way you have presented it…
    yumm…..

4. Suzi November 17, 2011 at 4:27 pm #

MJ this is a beautiful soup. I love your design with the cream. and your photos are fab. Love chestnuts too, I just bought some and plan on roasting them. I am going over to see the crackers too at Fifteen Spatulas too. Thanks!

5. Angela @ Mind Over Batter November 17, 2011 at 11:04 am #

Is it weird I wish I were a teeny tiny person so I can use your bowl of soup as my own personal pumpkin hot tub? Yea, it’s totally weird… Never mind… Love the soup, love the addition of chestnuts, diggin’ the new plates – And the crackers? You’re blowin’ my mind, here…

6. Jacqueline - The Dusty Baker November 17, 2011 at 8:16 am #

I was just thinking “I need a chestnut soup recipe for next week” and here is this post! Thanks! Can’t wait to try it for Thanksgiving, although I’ll be using squash instead (lots of pumpkin things on the menu).

7. Lisa November 17, 2011 at 6:50 am #

Love chestnuts..but never once thought of combining them with pumpkin in a soup. Absolutely brilliant, and absolutely beautiful to look at!

8. Nami | Just One Cookbook November 17, 2011 at 1:06 am #

Chestnut are one of autumn food in Japan but living in the US (or California) it doesn’t look like people care for chestnut, so I was actually VERY happy seeing your recipe here with pumpkin! I’m bookmarking this. Love the photography of the soup. So pretty with the pattern (like latte!).

9. Shabs November 17, 2011 at 12:16 am #

Lve the soup like I had mentioned and also love…love..love the crackers ,I have to make them . Thanx for the comments on my blog . I’ll def be back to explore more . Cheers :) .

10. mj November 16, 2011 at 5:57 pm #

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments, especially about the photography. These were my first photos taken with my new camera and without my photographer husband helping me out! It was fun!

11. Vicki Bensinger November 16, 2011 at 3:25 pm #

Your Pumpkin soup looks wonderful. I’ve made Butternut Squash Soup but never soup using pumpkin. Not only does it look silky smooth but I adore the toppings that you use. I’ll have to save this to make on a cold day this winter.

12. Jayasri November 16, 2011 at 2:55 pm #

hI, mj First time in your blog what a beautiful blog you have, pumpkin and chestnut, lovely combination.., I have some chestnuts in my freezer, I should give this a try.., beautiful presentation too..

13. juniakk @ mis pensamientos November 16, 2011 at 12:55 pm #

i love how beautiful this soup looks! and the chestnut pumpkin combo is perfect for fall. sending some #squashlove to u!

14. lavieenfribourg November 16, 2011 at 12:01 pm #

Pumpkin and chestnut?!
    What a lovely combination!
    Why didn`t I think of this?

15. Jenna November 16, 2011 at 11:43 am #

Your soup sounds amazing, and LOOKS amazing! Your food photography is something else. I love the drizzle pattern you made!

16. Nads November 16, 2011 at 10:04 am #

I’ve never cooked with chestnuts and never see them in the stores here; but I’ll try some of the ethnic specialty markets. I don’t recall eating chestnuts per se; but I remember, when we were kids we would gather chinkapins or dwarf chestnuts at Grandma and Grandpa’s. I liked eating them right from the shell. Grandma would roast some in a pan on top of the old wood burning pot-bellied stove in the living room. I remember the hissing of the escaping steam as they quivered in the hot black cast iron skillet. I haven’t thought of that in years. Even if I don’t get around to cooking with them, thanks for the memory.

• mj November 16, 2011 at 5:46 pm #

Thanks so much for sharing your memories of times that I don’t remember! :) I’m sure I was too young which is a shame since it sounds like fun at grandma’s!

17. The Elegant Eggplant November 16, 2011 at 9:32 am #

What a gorgeous soup! I have never roasted chestnuts before, but it doesnt seem as hard as I thought. Must give it a try!!!

18. sally November 16, 2011 at 8:13 am #

Looks fantastic! I’ve never cooked with chestnuts, but I have a pumpkin on my counter just waiting to be turned into this tasty soup!

19. Food Jaunts November 16, 2011 at 6:34 am #

MJ your soups always come out so gorgeous. Love the photos. I’ve actually never had/tried a chestnut either (that I’m aware of) and this seems like the perfect recipe to give them a shot. Plus you can never go wrong with spicy crackers!

20. Charles November 16, 2011 at 3:24 am #

Wow, just look at how pretty that soup is – I can just imagine the flavour too. Loving the look of those flat-breads too. I bet they make a perfect addition to this! Thanks for sharing this… it’s coming up to lunch-time here now and I’m getting really hungry :D

21. Anne@frommysweetheart November 15, 2011 at 11:21 pm #

Oh MJ! This soup is absolutely beautiful! I have a confession. I’ve never tried chestnuts! But I love pumpkin and squash soups! And this looks so inviting! I love your bowls and plates! (Actually, that’s one of the best things about blogging to me…checking out everyone else’s stuff!). But they go perfectly with the soup! I’m glad you had so many inspirations….now I just might be inspired to try chestnuts! : )

22. Katherine Martinelli November 15, 2011 at 11:15 pm #

This soup is just stunning! Elegant and perfect for fall. This is going on the list to make soon!

23. Sawsan@chef in disguise November 15, 2011 at 10:49 pm #

I love chestnuts but I have never thougt of putting them in soup!
    I love the idea and can only imagine the flavor

24. Dionne Baldwin November 15, 2011 at 10:32 pm #

That soup looks so warming and delicious! I think I need some of those crackers too please. I’ve never made my own crackers but I was saying yesterday I need to start. (Can’t stand store bought crackers.) I’m glad your cute little pumpkin turned into soup! Beautiful photograph!

25. Jenni November 15, 2011 at 10:09 am #

This looks absolutely delicious! I found you over at Deelicious Sweets!

26. Giulietta | Alterkitchen November 15, 2011 at 3:23 am #

MJ, this soup looks delicious! I’m glad the ingredient I chose for this month’s challenge inspired you!
    I’d love the combination between pumpkin and chesnut!
    And those plates are delightful! And those crackers?! I’m hungry already! :D

27. Magic of Spice November 14, 2011 at 10:11 pm #

What a beautiful soup and recipe! I am the same with chestnuts, the dried versions are wonderful, but the fresh…love the aroma and taste, but the texture if off to me. Great idea to combine them in this soup :)

• mj November 16, 2011 at 5:41 pm #

I’m so glad I’m not the only one that finds the texture strange! :) Now I need to find the dried version so I can give those a try. Thanks for the comments.

28. Baker Street November 14, 2011 at 8:28 pm #

What a lovely soup MJ! Love the presentation and chestnuts and pumpkin are a great combination!

29. Annapet November 14, 2011 at 7:39 pm #

This is another wonderful addition to Squash Love Blog Hop! I love chestnuts, too. I think a 50-pound sack of chestnuts is a giveaway ;-).

30. Georgie November 14, 2011 at 5:49 pm #

Beautiful photos and beautiful soup! Yum!

1. Must Try Monday {The Features} | My Favorite Finds - November 3, 2012

[...] Mom Baby Food Spice Cake @ Posed Perfection Homemade Hotpockets @ Creative Southern Home Roasted Pumpkin and Chestnut Soup @ MJs Kitchen I can’t wait to see you all back here next week for another Must Try [...]

2. Keep It Real Thursday - Homemade Sunflower Seed Butter & More! | beyondthepeel.net - October 10, 2012

[...] MJs Kitchen [...]

3. From Scratch…Chicken Stock « Providence Farms - February 12, 2012

[...] Night Soup Night blog carnival. Hop on over and check out some delicious healthy soup recipes. The pumpkin chestnut looks divine. Posted in Food, Uncategorized , From Scratch | 11 Comments [...]

4. Pumpkin And Chestnut Soup | Food Frenzy - November 14, 2011