Remember Toas-Tite Sandwiches? They’re back!

ToasTite Sandwich and ToasTite

So who remembers the Toas-Tite sandwich? Who among you grew up eating these little jewels?  I did and I still love them. They are so much fun to eat and just as much fun to “assemble” and cook. You can put anything you want in them – which is something my family did quite well. Here are just a few of the concoctions that we created:

• Bologna and cheese, salami and cheese, just cheese
  • Spam and pickles (I liked using sweet pickles)
  • Scrambled eggs and lots of butter, salt and pepper
  • Cinnamon, butter and sugar (my all time favorite)
  • Apple pie – apples, cinnamon, butter, sugar and cheese (another of my favorites)
  • Any leftovers we could find in the fridge – this is where we were the most creative

My oldest sister loved leftover pot roast, mustard, tomato, cheese, onions and lots of black pepper. Then there was the leftover meatloaf – my brother’s favorite and his favorite way to eat Mother’s meatloaf. My mother loved a cow’s tongue sandwich – her most favorite sandwich no matter which way you fixed it. And then of course – the leftover Thanksgiving sandwich:  turkey, cranberry sauce, and dressing.

No matter what you put in it, the outcome is always the same – a yummy sandwich with hot and steamy insides sealed with really crispy edges. You have to be careful and let the sandwich cool a bit before biting into it or you will burn your mouth.

When putting this post together I came across a fun website that you have to check out – We Love Toas-Tite Recipes.  It has more information than you’ll ever want to know about Toas-Tites, plus the website owners have a great collection!  Be sure to read the comments for another reader’s truly awesome collection.

So what did I learn in my research about my little Toas-Tite?  Since it has the patent number on it, it’s post-patent – obviously.  Earlier versions said “Patent Pending”. The Toas-Tite patent was approved in 1949 and that’s when these things took off. They were very popular with campers and Boy Scouts. In fact, there was even a Boy Scouts version.  A lot of variations have been developed as you’ll see when you check out the above link.

The Toas-Tite in the picture is my family’s, the one I grew up with, which means  this little gadget was making sandwiches back in the 50’s! I acquired it a few years ago when I found it buried in a kitchen drawer at my mother’s house. I knew I had to have it so I snagged it.  She hadn’t used it in years so she was happy to know that it was going back into production which is exactly what happened. Ever since I brought it home, I’ve been making these Toas-Tite sandwiches. The sandwiches I make today are a little healthier than the ones 50 years ago. I don’t use square white bread anymore which actually works best with the shape and size, and I try to create fillings that are better for me than butter and sugar, bologna and cheese. It still works great with leftovers and there are so many more fillings that are yet to be discovered. The possibilities are endless!  Any suggestions?

This ToasTite post has been shared with the following blog hops.  Be sure to click on the links to see more tasty recipes.  Hearth and Soul Blog Hop, Katherine Martinelli’s Family Recipes

Tags: , , ,

26 Responses to “Remember Toas-Tite Sandwiches? They’re back!”

1. C. Davis April 27, 2012 at 8:51 pm #

Just bought one today at the thrift store for $1.98. I never used one before, but another customer told me how great they are and how to use it. She also said she wish she would of kept hers.

• mj April 28, 2012 at 1:56 pm #

$1.98! What a steal! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! Just love those little sandwich. Just be warned – The insides do get hot, so let it cool before biting into it! Let me know how you like it!

2. Alea Milham February 6, 2012 at 1:16 am #

What a delicious trip down memory lane! I can’t tell you how long it has been since I’ve had a toasted sandwich. I really must do this with my kids. Thanks for sharing this with the Hearth and Soul Hop.

3. Rojo December 19, 2011 at 7:23 am #

I am interested in purchasing a Toas-Tite and have done much reading and research on them, but I am still curious – Can these sandwich makers be used on a flat top range? Please advise as I would love to own one. Thanks!

4. Chef December 5, 2011 at 9:18 am #

About a year ago, my sister and I came up with the idea to bring this marvel back into production. Working with a talented pool of resources, we reproduced an exact replica of the original Toas-Tite Grill, right down to the packaging and recipe cards. We also took care of the legalities, by acquiring the trademark on Toas-Tite™. Finally, the days of searching for a Toas-Tite Grill are over, and after a 50+ year hiatus, we are delighted to say the Toas-Tite Grill is back! Find a new Toas-Tite™ grill at http://www.toastite.biz

P.S. Check out our Toas-Tite page on FaceBook and videos on YouTube.

5. Darkbyte August 7, 2011 at 10:33 pm #

Oh wow, the ancestor of modern day toasties!

Tinned spag isnt too bad. Baked beans and cheese is much better

If you have a craving for something sweet, give this mix a go:

ricotta (60g), white chocolate (20g) and raspberries (about 1 tbsp)

its great between white bread (buttered)

• mj August 8, 2011 at 8:21 am #

I love your fillings! Definitely going to have to try the sweet mix. My chronic sweet tooth will love it! Thanks for the suggestions!

6. Carolyn Jung June 27, 2011 at 9:53 pm #

My best friend in elementary school had one of these in her kitchen. I had never seen one before then. And I haven’t seen one since. But I have to say, I still remember that crusty little peanut butter sandwich she made me with it. Sublime!

• mj June 28, 2011 at 8:35 am #

I forgot about PB&J! Just made some strawberry jam so I know what I’m having for lunch. Thanks for stopping by!

• George and Jan January 7, 2012 at 8:15 pm #

ok, this one finally convinced me to wash our’s up and give it a try over the coals of the chimnea :)

• mj January 8, 2012 at 2:03 pm #

:) :) :)

7. Kathy June 25, 2011 at 8:15 am #

Hmm.. I haven’t seen one of these gadgets before. At first glance, I thought it was an antique bedwarmer! I’m still trying to figure out how it works. I assume (because of the Boy Scout reference) that after you fill it you hold it over a campfire like a toasted marshmallow? If so, that probably explains why I’m not familiar with it! (big grin)

~~Kathy (the one who appreciates electricity)

• mj June 25, 2011 at 12:55 pm #

Girl…. I’m not surprised that this is new to you. -:) You do cook it like roasting marshmallows over a campfire or gas burner. To assemble, place one piece of bread, buttered side down on one side of the T-T (once you open up that is.) Place your filling on bread then place the other piece of buttered bread on top. Close the T-T. When you close it, it presses and seals the edges of the bread. You lose the crust, but that’s probably why, as a kid, I loved it. Toast on both sides and the result is a sealed grilled something or other. Fun Fun

It does kind of look like a bed warmer doesn’t it?

8. Karen @offthemeathook June 24, 2011 at 4:28 pm #

I’m not sure about TINNED spaghetti, but when my family went camping we would make spaghetti for dinner on Saturday night, and then for breakfast the next day we put the leftover spaghetti in between the leftover garlic bread, put it in the toas-tite and throw ‘em in the fire to cook. A delicious treat. We also didn’t call them toas-tites, but I can’t for the life of me remember what we call them… but it’s the same contraption for sure. Thanks for the memories!

• mj June 24, 2011 at 8:02 pm #

OK – I give – a spaghetti toas-tite coming up!

9. bunkycooks June 24, 2011 at 3:45 pm #

I totally missed this food gadget and these sandwiches. How fun! I think I need one more toy in my kitchen. :)

• mj June 24, 2011 at 4:24 pm #

Don’t we all! But there’s just too many toys to choose from!

10. Giulietta @ Alterkitchen June 24, 2011 at 12:38 am #

This is absolutely new to me… I never heard of Toas-Tite before in my life, but seems wonderful!
    In Italy we have a lot of this kind of griddles that heat on the stove, to make waffles or this sort of thing.
    This tool is very beautiful!

• mj June 24, 2011 at 8:24 am #

Thanks Giulia! It’s in pretty good condition considering the amount of use it’s had.

11. Aimee June 23, 2011 at 12:45 pm #

I have never seen one of these before! How fun does that look!? Also, how delicious do some of those sound?!

I am going to have to keep my eyes open for a Toas-Tite in my thrifting. That’s so special that you are still using the one you had growing up!

• mj June 24, 2011 at 8:16 am #

I hope you find one! They ARE so much fun!

12. Rastas000 June 20, 2011 at 2:56 pm #

I have a soft spot for the toasted sandwich and in Australia we generically call them “jaffles”.

For me they are comfort food of my childhood. Fillings generally were tinned spaghetti and cheese (much poorer times then) and then anything from the left over dinner the night before.

One learns that one cannot insert a full slice of lasagna inside bread and jaffle it. But leftovers that we cooked on the stovetop were particularly good on the cold winters days after refining home from football training.

My favorite jaffle at the moment is spelt bread, both inside surfaces spread with cranberry jelly, turkey breast (or dark meat, I ain’t fussy) liberal slices of Brie and seasoned with white pepper or a vegetable/herb salt.

hmmmmm. Mouth is watering right now and it is 6:30am…

Cheers from Down Under..

• mj June 20, 2011 at 5:56 pm #

I have to admit that the tinned spaghetti and cheese sounds “interesting”. Not sure I’ll be giving that one a try. -:) However, your favorite jaffle with the turkey, cranberry and brie sounds quite yummy and will definitely be given a try. Thanks for sharing your story!

• Rastas000 June 21, 2011 at 12:47 am #

AWWWWWWW Go one, give it a go… You won’t know until you try it.. there is always baked beans and cheese too..

• mj June 21, 2011 at 4:12 pm #

O.k. – So if you’ll try the cow’s tongue sandwich from MY poorer times – I’ll try the tinned spaghetti and cheese. I think I am actually getting the better end of that deal. -:)

1. Cold Cucumber Soup Recipe | MJ's Kitchen - November 18, 2012

[...] If you are curious about the brown little flying saucer in the picture, it’s a Toas-Tite sandwich. [...]