Mediterranean Feta Dip

Feta, cucumber, tomatoes Dip with Crackers

Back in the 80’s there was a wonderful little Mediterranean restaurant in our neighborhood that served a feta cheese dip we absolutely loved.  When the restaurant shut down, I was determined to recreate the dip so we could have it any time we wanted it.  It took a few tries but I was finally successful.  This dip with feta and cucumber makes a great appetizer, a party dip, or an afternoon snack.

You can use just about any type of feta for this dip.  However, in choosing, think about the texture of the feta because it will determine the overall texture of the dip.  I prefer a drier feta that crumbles easily rather than a soft feta that’s hard to crumble.  Adding the feta as the last step prevents it from being overworked causing the dip to become too creamy or mushy.

Be sure to let the dip chill in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight so the flavors merge.  It makes a HUGE difference.  Remove the dip from the fridge about 30 minutes before serving.  Give it a little stir and transfer to a serving dish.

As far as what to serve it with – for years we served it with warm pita wedges because it’s a Mediterranean dip after all and that’s the way the restaurant served it.  However, through the many years of eating this, we’ve also used flatbread crackers, melba and pita chips – pretty much anything that’s in the pantry at the time.  They all work well,  just a different texture from the pita – a crispy bite rather than a soft bite.

This feta and cucumber dip recipe has been shared with the following blog hop.  Please click on the link to see more delicious recipes.  Freaky Friday, Gluten-Free Wednesday

Tags: , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to “Mediterranean Feta Dip”

1. Linda December 4, 2012 at 7:43 pm #

This looks really good. I wish I could eat Feta! I wonder how it would be with goat cheese.

2. Michelle @ Simplify, Live, Love March 2, 2012 at 7:17 am #

This looks so good. I love feta cheese! I spent a week in Greece many years ago and still drool over thoughts of the hunks of feta they served over there. YUM! Pinning this recipe – I hope that’s ok!

3. Jen March 2, 2012 at 6:27 am #

Oh yum! I am saving this for when my garden comes in! Looks delish! Thanks for sharing on FF!

4. Karen April 26, 2011 at 5:37 pm #

The dip is awesome – really refreshing and not filling…served for Easter guest. By the way it works well on green summer mix salad as well. Thanks.

• mj April 26, 2011 at 8:28 pm #

What a great way to use the leftovers!

5. Candy April 19, 2011 at 6:20 am #

This is a great looking website. The recipes I have viewed thus far look delicious and easy to make. In fact, I think they also look pretty healthy. It looks like everything is here to make cooking easier and healthier. More recipes, please!

• mj April 20, 2011 at 9:21 am #

Candy, Thanks for the comments and for visiting my kitchen! The plan is to post a new recipe each Wednesday, so please keep checking in.

1. Gluten-Free Wednesdays 12-5-12 | Elite Daily Diet and Fitness - December 4, 2012

[…] Week’s Highlights:  Here are the last of the appetizer highlights. Mediterranean Feta Dip – MJ’s Kitchen Raw Creamy Garden Soup – Gluten-Free Cat Edible Reindeer – The Peaceful […]